George Zimmerman is selling his fine art paintings on eBay, and we had a question for the artist

@Kirkhunter, @Mister44, the justice system is a funny thing. People who didn’t do it are found guilty and people who did do it are found innocent with sobering regularity. Mr. Zimmerman was found innocent in a court of law, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t do what he did or that what he indeed did do isn’t inexcusable.

11 Likes

I think he defended himself when he was on his back getting his head smashed into the curb. [quote=“wysinwyg, post:39, topic:16927, full:true”]
… protect him from any form of censure or public criticism whatsoever.
[/quote]

I don’t have a problem if people want to ridicule and giggle at his foray into painting. Continuing to condemn someone as a murderer when the evidence and jury determined otherwise I do have a problem with.

3 Likes

Well, there is no alternative word for someone who admits to a homicide, is there?

8 Likes

You don’t get to start a fight and then claim to be defending yourself.

13 Likes

Maybe he can form a creative team with Shia LaBeouf.

2 Likes

I think he defended himself when he was on his back getting his head smashed into the curb.

I suspect Martin was smashing his head against a curb as a means of defending himself from an armed assailant. Not many people seem to want to grant him that.

Continuing to condemn someone as a murderer when the evidence and jury determined otherwise I do have a problem with.

So you spent much of the mid-90’s complaining about how folks were so mean to OJ Simpson, right?

Sometimes murderers get “not guilty” verdicts in court. It happens. It doesn’t make them not murderers. And it’s not a crime or in any way unethical to point out that such a person, despite whatever verdict they received in court, is actually a murderer.

In this case, the only reason Zimmerman was found “not guilty” is because of a “Stand Your Ground” law which many people think is a stupid law. I really don’t see the problem with pointing this out and referring to the man as a murderer.

That said, I didn’t call him a murderer in my earlier comment. I said that: he needlessly (true, even stated by the 911 dispatcher) stalked (true, he did intentionally follow Martin) and killed (yup) an unarmed teenager (true as well).

14 Likes

Give Zimmerman credit for knowing his target audience.

3 Likes

Feminazi? You Godwinned on your first post, newb!! And I wonder how you felt about the OJ verdict…and please, tell me about…your mother

2 Likes

Self defense isn’t homicide.

Following someone isn’t starting a fight. Zimmerman had lost sight of Trayvon. Instead of going home or calling the cops, he chose to confront and assault Zimmerman.

Zimmerman was overzealous in following Trayvon, but that is neither a crime nor a justification for an assault.

2 Likes

This is “art” as much as Painting By Numbers is “art”

4 Likes

It’s possible for someone to commit a great moral wrong that isn’t illegal (Wall Street does this continuously). That he wasn’t found legally guilty doesn’t mean that nobody is entitled to condemn his act.

“Keep your opinions where they belong.”

I think that’s what’s happening. The public expression of opinions is a part of a free and open society.

5 Likes

I believe that’d be sexual assault, cause you know a man touching a woman without her permission.

Funny how someone like our New Poster, who purports to support Zimmerman, readily attacks all of our first amendment rights in his first post…

2 Likes

On the message thread of a blog maintained by a smallish group of editors?

6 Likes

Remind me how Martin’s dark skin magnetically attracted Zimmerman, who had no choice but to follow, and once within the event horizon of Martin’s blackness, was pulled out of his vehicle and sent directly toward the youth, time stretching into infinity, like the expanding canvas of a slipshod eBay painting.

15 Likes

Oh man, this is just too comical to be real, seems to be how the world works though. The real head spinner here is the range of expression around this event (not the painting, I mean the murder). There are other artists out there on this. Exhibit A: http://artandresponse.com/paintings/a-tale-of-two-hoodies.html

ho·mi·cide
noun \ˈhä-mə-ˌsīd, ˈhō-\

: the act of killing another person

Webster’s disagrees with you. Zimmerman committed homicide.

8 Likes

if Trayvon was white, you would’ve never heard of this case.

there’s the irony, bleeding heart liberals that scream ‘racism’ are actually, indirectly, being the racists by giving all minorities a pass.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s on purpose that he’s rendered all those American values in black and blue…

4 Likes