Giant rock breaks off mountain and lands in road - captured on video

A medium sized Rock Of Doom by Taiwanese standards. Over on the east side of the island there’s a drainpipe for a couple of mountain ranges called the Taroko Gorge. I once looked down from the rim to see several apartment building sized boulders. Each one had different colour and they were clearly each made of entirely different minerals from widely dispersed origins. Apparently when there’s a typhoon on these things break off various mountains and then bounce down the gorge like pinballs.

1 Like

Then they all went: “Thanks, Obama!”

3 Likes

Ouch! That’s a lot more damage than I thought the white car took.

It’s almost a shame that they had to break the rock up, but I guess it was the only way to clear the road. I hope white-car driver got a souvenir.

2 Likes

I was impressed with the sensibleness of the driver with the dashboard cam, who actually reversed gear and backed up after the incident (rather than zooming up to it, as I suspect many drivers in the US would). It also looked like the driver of the white car may have put on his emergency blinkers momentarily…

3 Likes

I always felt vaguely uneasy on mountain roads, seeing those “Watch For Falling Rocks” signs. Interesting seeing the phenomenon in action.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that. Couldn’t figure out from the first video why the driver of the first car stopped and got out instead of getting the hell out of there, but your video makes it very clear. That’s one lucky driver.

2 Likes

The blinkers almost certainly turned on automatically; I believe in some newer cars the alarm or just the hazard lights go on automatically if the airbag is deployed. I did find it amusing though :wink:

3 Likes

I thought Thomas The Tank Engine.

This got me wondering whether there was a Chrome extension which could warn me when I was about to accidentally click on a Daily Mail link. Not quite, but this is close enough:

And for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/kitten-block/?src=search

I’ve re-watched in full-screen, slowing it down, and I’m bummed to admit that I can’t see what you mean. Is it the initial breaking away of the rock that timquinn talks about, more toward the upper middle of the screen?

Yes, the rock breaking. Look straight up from the McDonald’s sign to the mountain.

I liked this video before it was cool.

Yes, I meant the initial breakaway.

Boulder/rock lottery won. This time. :wink:

it took me a while, too:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.