Glimpses: amazing audiobook of one of the all-time-great rock-n-roll novels

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Iā€™m just glad to see some love for Armageddon Rag - one of my favorite books of all time. It blows away George R R Martinā€™s work on Game of Thrones.

Now I will have to check out Glimpses.

And then thereā€™s Lewis Shiner - Slam. And Iā€™ve been trying to find a copy of ā€œDeserted Cities of the Heartā€ for ages. I made the mistake of lending my copy to someone way back in the 90s.

Great book.

Does anyone know whether Shiner ever wrote anything about the real-life ā€œSmileā€ after it came out in 2004? If so, that could be fascinatingā€¦ he wrote so extensively about the fictional version in Glimpses and it would be great to know what he thought about the Wilson/Wondermints version.

Two books I had nearly forgotten about. Thanks for the chance to reread ā€˜Glimpsesā€™ and to rediscover Shiner. There used to be a music column in the Austin Chronicle called ā€œDancing About Architectureā€ and I used to know where that title came from. It truly must be hard to novelize rock n roll as most times it is tried it is just cringe-worthy. Case in point, Anne Rice and ā€˜Lestatā€™. One rock n roll novel that works pretty well is Skipp and Spectorā€™s ā€œThe Screamā€. It doesnā€™t hurt that it was one of the early splatter-punk novels either.

A fantastic book and audiobook. (Rudnickiā€™s also done a fantastic audio edition of ā€œSlamā€ and (with a full cast including Gabrielle de Cuir) Shinerā€™s ā€œCollected Storiesā€. Also, Cory, I have apparently not spammed you enough to check out The AudioBookaneers, because I did pick ā€œGlimpsesā€ as the best new audiobook of 2011 :slight_smile:

(And ā€œSlamā€ was an honorable mention in our 2013 wrap-up.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.