"Greedy Bastard" burger criticized

Somebody should draw a picture of a landscape covered with burning windmills in the background, one intact-yet in the foreground, and a knight approaching it from behind with a Molotov cocktail ready to serve.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry you have never experienced the zenith of burger ingredients that is bacon and avocado.

Botanically a fruit - culinarily a vegetable.

3 Likes

So they are a fruit. Or is rhubarb suddenly not a vegetable since its culinary uses are sweet and dessert based? Oh, right, the designation actually comes from old tariffs.

(cough also Pluto isnā€™t a planet cough) >:)

2 Likes

Did you ever make that aubergine ice cream I suggested?

1 Like

Makes it look bigger, not weird at all.

1 Like

Crap I forgot!!

I am thinking of a riff on this one. Eggplant, nutmeg, cardamom, and salted caramel.

2 Likes

Pineapple

1 Like

Pineapple goes with everything.

3 Likes

A person after my own heart!

How bout a burger with fruits de mer?

what i want to know is who the hell reads a list of burger ingredients that includes beetroot and mango and says ā€˜who the hell puts avocado on a burgerā€™

6 Likes

obviously the beetroot should go in the chocolate cake.

1 Like

Youā€™re presenting a false dichotomy. A tomato is a fruit. It is also a vegetable. Just as rhubarb being used as a ā€˜fruitā€™ in cooking does not preclude it being a vegetable. In fact, if you really want to get down in the nitty gritty of botanic pedantry then all fruits are vegetables, because ā€œvegetableā€ only has a specific meaning in culinary use.
The designation doesnā€™t come from old tariffs - it comes from two perspectives on the same thing, one concerned only with how a plant reproduces, the other one concerned with if a plant is sweet or savoury to taste. People just happened to exploit whichever perspective cost them less in tax.

2 Likes

le sigh. all fruits are not vegetables, but all fruits and vegetables are plantae. and iā€™m not even arguing with you, just wasting a few minutes while some files upload. but the tradition you speak up largely stems (heh) from extenuating circumstances, like this kernel (heh):

The U.S. Supreme Court settled this controversy on 10 May 1893, by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert (Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)).[75] The holding of this case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of 3 March 1883

so call it what you want, but please only call it a vegetable when you are talking specifically about tariffs :smiley: (you donā€™t want the ghost of those supreme court justices to haunt you).

now, i am done discussing tomatoes, and need to go pick some. @firstlast are you in the gardening or cooking threads in Craft?

1 Like

Pluto is actually an herb.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a semantic distinction. The trends themselves typically have causes and outcomes, but these are quite often not congruent with the rationalizations people use to justify them. Their existence may not be false or baseless, but surprisingly often I can demonstrate that the stated motivations or goals are incompatible with what is claimed. I donā€™t even need to evaluate the merit of these things by my own standards in order to refute them, the faulty logic of the proponents often does this just fine, I merely let it happen.

Itā€™s a common rhetorical tactic, to suggest that I have a poor argument for or against something due to the presumption that it is only me versus a unified mass of human society. This sounds like a defeatist position to me, which relies upon getting swept up in populism. I think it would be a cop out to not act upon oneā€™s bullshit detector. To instead allow oneself to lament ones loss of agency and autonomy, while simultaneously mocking those who choose to do something different anyway.

tldr: Donā€™t follow along with what other people do when you know it wonā€™t work as advertised.

1 Like

As opposed to ā€¦ every single post you make?

4 Likes

I get a sneaking suspicion that you are trying to characterise me in a certain light, here!

There is another kind of post I am working on, called a makiwara. They have been used traditionally for training in Okinawan-style karate. I am hoping that using this will help me to improve the form and impact of my strikes.

Nope, just noting reality. Which is the thing you reject.

Good luck with your project - try not to disappear in a wink of self-congratulatory logic.

Sort of. You donā€™t seem to be willing to take any responsibility for reality, yet you seem willing to define it in terms of my remarks. This is the sore point which many struggle with. Each person contributes to social reality. It doesnā€™t conveniently come down to ā€œeverybodyā€ versus ā€œmeā€.

See what I mean? You seem to be deliberately confusing human social reality with the realities of the world at large. Itā€™s a great ā€œpea & shellā€ game to keep dodging oneā€™s own cognitive biases. Not unlike how people like to mix fact and opinion, objective and subjective, etc. I participate in creating social reality. But the difference I find between me and most others I talk to is that if I am confronted with a social reality which is self-contradictory, or at odds with realities of the world at large, then I am happy to either revise or disregard that social model. It is merely a matter of devising the best systems we can for achieving what we need to do. If you accept that social realities are real, then you might find that it is as much your responsibility to make them work as it is anybody elseā€™s.

I see this as very much like the practice of ā€œcritical thinkingā€, that each person needs to audit and test the reason of whatever they are confronted with, and choose their actions accordingly. Otherwise you might merely be ā€œalong for the rideā€, which could be seen as a dangerous abnegation of personal responsibility and civic duty alike.

Thank you! I am usually juggling too many projects.

But Iā€™d love to disappear! Both perception and existence are so fleeting.

I think of ā€œlogicā€ and ā€œself-congratulationā€ as opposites. Logic is a methodology to employ precisely to detect and avoid biases. I strive to avoid personal problems.