Groucho Marx on comics and depression

[Permalink]

Dunno, I still think that jokeā€™s funnier when Rorschach tells it. Maybe ā€œfunnierā€ isnā€™t the right word.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Totally misses the point, but what kind of doctor accepts a patient without knowing his name?

2 Likes

The same kind of sketchy quack who charges money to advise you to go to the circus.

20 Likes

In my first-time-through misread, I thought the analyst was Grock. Adds a whole 'nother layer of reaction.

1 Like

Patch Adams is accepting of everyone.

3 Likes

I have to wonder if the story is autobiographical. After all, he was the worldā€™s funniest clown, at least in the 30s.

Just change it to, ā€œWhat seems to be the matter?ā€

I canā€™t believe this!! Talk about missing the point. Re-read the story, but change ā€œGrockā€ to ā€œMorkā€. Gee Whiz.

Doctor! Doctor! I think Iā€™m a pair of curtains!

with shaking hands the doctor pours himself another whiskey
ā€œItā€™s okā€¦ itā€™s okā€¦ theyā€™re not realā€¦ curtains canā€™t really talkā€¦ Iā€™ve just been working too hardā€¦ maybe if I swap them out for some Venetian blinds, theyā€™ll shut upā€¦ā€

2 Likes

mmm , many people work under an alias , or use a stage name ~

Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone.
For the sad old earth must borrow itā€™s mirth, but has trouble enough of its own.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox

1 Like

Grock was a stage name. His real name was Charles Adrien Wettach.

I wonder if the ā€œI am Grimaldiā€ version of this joke is the oldest, or if there is one older?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.