Gummi vitamins: Not all they've smooshed up to be

[Permalink]

(post removed by author)

I suspect that they didn’t include any of the overdose-able “vitamins” for child safety reasons.

That is the reason that I take children’s chewables… As a guy in the US, I don’t need any extra iron and I don’t really want a megadose of anything.

I think it is wonderful that at least one industry is still a little bit free. Americans pay lip service to freedom until somebody does something actually free. Then they start saying “Uh oh, we gotta put a stop to that!”

See, the thing is, when people are talking about personal liberties and freedom from persecution and government surveillance, they’re not talking about the freedom of corporations to put poison in children’s food.

5 Likes

Yep. That freedom to market things that don’t have what it says on the tin. Or have other substances not listed. As a consumer, I’d like the freedom to have my purchases actually contain what they say they do, and have the requirement to be safety and efficacy tested BEFORE I but them in my mouth. How fascist of me!

1 Like

Yes, I agree. But in real life the company merely gets a name registered for its poison and then the FDA will protect the company from complaints by consumers. It turns out that consumers are not all as stupid as some people assume they are.

What makes this especially frustrating is that, for the first two trimesters of my last pregnancy, I was unable to stomach (or swallow, for that matter) any conventional vitamin, be it traditional or gel capsule. Some one could easily corner the market on prenatal gummis if they just pointed this out, but for the time being (at least in my part of the US) there’s only one company that’s even selling them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.