Hanukkah, its not just the jewish Thanksgiving

Seeing as how Lincoln decided that the 4th Thursday of November was the official day of Thanksgiving in the US and Canada didn’t officially make it the 2nd Monday of October until 1957, I would say that the US is on the right day for sure and the Canadians just took longer to get organized.
Of course, the Germans celebrate Oktoberfest in September, so my guess is it all evens out. Humans are weird.

1 Like

While some researchers state that “there is no compelling narrative of the origins of the Canadian Thanksgiving day”,[4] the first Canadian Thanksgiving is often traced back to 1578 and the explorer Martin Frobisher. Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean, held his Thanksgiving celebration not for harvest but in thanks for surviving the long journey from England through the perils of storms and icebergs. On his third and final voyage to the far north, Frobisher held a formal ceremony in Frobisher Bay in Baffin Island (present-day Nunavut) to give thanks to God and in a service ministered by the preacher Robert Wolfall they celebrated Communion.

Though we never actually got taught that in school. We pretty much just heard about the US Thanksgiving origin story.

On Thursday, January 31, 1957, the Parliament of Canada proclaimed:

A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October.

US it became an official federal holiday in 1863.

Why did the store sign say “Monotheists need not apply”? (3:16) Is the director unaware that Christians consider themselves monotheists?

I think we might have to watch that movie tonight. It’s been on our netflix queue for a while now, and the convergence of Thanksgiving and Hannukkah seems to perfect excuse to watch it… though we do have that Troma film, Thankskilling. (edited for wrong word, cause I’ve had a long year)

Its just another Jewish “in joke” based on the idea of the Trinity and or the theology of Jesus being God and therefore thinking the Christians worship more than one god or since they pray to states/icons they are at least idolators.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.