MTG gets Jewish holidays confused

Originally published at: MTG gets Jewish holidays confused | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see what gifts she gives her Jewish staff members for the eighth day of Yom Kippur. Hopefully she remembers to rid the office of leavened bread before reading from the Torah and breaking a glass.

10 Likes

It’s from stock photo website. Which makes me wonder if the person who put it there did so out of ignorance or as a joke to play on the ignorance of others.

6 Likes

No doubt Jewish organisations would be happy to advise on appropriate messages for Jewish holidays, but I suppose that MTG’s staff aren’t smart enough (or plugged-in enough to the DC political ecosystem) to think of that.

6 Likes

8 maids-a-milking, obvs.

16 Likes

Could’ve been avoided with a simple “Happy Holidays”.

3 Likes

At least there’s a shofar.

2 Likes

Apparently there’s a right wing organization that will do staffing for ignorant Congress pols like MTG.

Good matching, I guess.

3 Likes

Given that this message came from MTG (or more likely, her staff) I was honestly kinda surprised that the message acknowledged that Yom Kippur is a “solemn” holiday that includes a fast, rather than one of those “fun” ones. There are a number of different appropriate greetings/acknowledgedments but observant Jews don’t usually say “happy Yom Kippur!” to each other. There was a funny bit with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show about that many years ago but I can’t find the clip.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Come on Jewish Space Lasers! She’s right there. She should be easy to target.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s not actually the specific one I had in mind. He’s riffed on the holiday a number of times.

2 Likes

I mean… I ALSO don’t know many details about Jewish holidays. Friends have taught me a little, which is always nice of them.

But of course, I’m not a far right-cum-fascist American politician making a very lazy attempt to mend bridges with Jewish voters after years of loudly declaring support for antisemitic conspiracy theories.

(I say “after” without implying those days are necessarily behind her)

2 Likes

This isn’t… so so far off the mark. The shofar is used on the holiday (though not to the extent it is on Rosh Hashanah), and the text of the tweet itself is reasonable, if not the text within the image itself. It is not a holiday in which to be blessed per-se. Including stars in the image is appropriate, the traditional marker of “when is the fast over?” is when 3 stars are now visible in the night sky.

If they’d just 'shopped out the extra two arms of the hanukkiah and made it an ordinary 7-armed menorah – so, just a general signifier of Judaism – it would not be laughable.

Being super-pedantic, calling the 9-armed Hanukkah candelabra a “menorah” is incorrect, “hanukkiah” is the right word here.

5 Likes

Could always have been worse, I guess. She did acknowledge that it is a holiday of some sort.

7 Likes

I think I might have learned more about judaism in that post than all my previous life - thanks for the information.

6 Likes

Riffing off an old Chelm joke told to me in high school, MTG would be the one who thinks that the Moon would be closer to her location than some location hundreds of miles away, because she could see the Moon.

3 Likes

I suspect the last two words of your post of being entirely redundant.

@hecep
Count yourself very lucky I do not have the energy to find and post the almost obligatory Father Ted 'near - far away’ clip.

4 Likes

That’s the danger of pulling up a stock photo on something you know nothing about and running with it.

4 Likes

To be contrary, maybe it was entirely intentional.
That’s one way of winking to her supporters “see, I do what I have to because of political whatever, but I still couldn’t care less about the people or the holiday.”
I had a Nazi colleague who used to always sneeringly wish me “Happy Yom Kippur” in front of other colleagues

3 Likes