US politicians completely fail at Jewish outreach

Originally published at: US politicians completely fail at Jewish outreach | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“Something about bread. Got it!”

21 Likes

Bread, check. Wine, check. Menorah and dreidel? Those are Jewish, right? Check. Let’s add some gelt for good measure! That’ll do!

Waiting for the “Happy Yom Kippur!” tweets to come this fall.

18 Likes
24 Likes

Don’t forget apples and honey for Rosh Hashanah!

6 Likes

From the comment thread:

45 Likes

It’s not just the republicans who use stock images.

Also, that image is available without the loafs of bread.

13 Likes

Rugrats Jewish GIF

8 Likes

It would be funny if the Jewish politicians responded in kind by posting “Happy Easter!” messages with images of Nativity scenes and Christmas trees.

37 Likes

adventure-time-finn-happy

they would melt the fuck down…

22 Likes

I bet they get really upset when people tweet “Happy Memorial Day!”, too.

15 Likes

Try as they might, Republicans are never going to sit leaning towards the left.

11 Likes

That’s subversive, and I like that.

2 Likes

“Leavened, schmevened. Who doesn’t like donuts, right?”
(Plus, whatever that blue frosting covered boob-like object on the bottom right is)

5 Likes

possibly a yarmulke?

2 Likes

They obviously just took a Hanukkah one and photoshopped out “Hanukkah” and put in “Passover.” Hence the weird font change.

Fucking amateur hour.

2 Likes

I’m tempted to create some “Happy Passover” stock art of my own and see how far it’ll go… a table with some wine and (yeasted) bread, a dreidel, a menorah, a ham, some oysters, the Easter bunny… Although only the last two of those things have failed to show up in Passover greetings/ads so far this year.

1 Like

I’m getting mostly Hanukkah vibes here, but the apples, apples & honey, and pomegranate evoke Rosh Hashanah here.

And the scroll evokes maybe Simchat Torah here. Or possibly a Purim megillah?

I think the natural next step for a troll to take is adding doodles that evoke literally every other Jewish observance other than Passover. Get a Sukkah up in there, decorated with some multicolor construction paper chains. Get some happy little trees up for Tu’bshevat. 8 of the whole 9 yards.

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing the full trio all day.

19 Likes

Even if it was an accurate representation of Passover, it seems incongruous to me to be wishing someone a Happy Passover. It would be like making a Happy Holy Week card with a crucifix, a crown of thorns, unleavened bread, glasses of wine, sweat stains and tears.