Haunted by a lack of young voter support, Hillary advertises on the AOL login screen

I doubt the eight inch variety were called macrofloppies through.

Probably a reference to mainframes being large room filling 32 bit computers, and minicomputers being cabinet sized 16 bit computers, and microcomputers being 8 bit toys.

6 Likes

So youā€™re disappointed in Boing Boing?

How dare you!

BoingBoing can never disappoint. It can only be disappointed by insufficiently grateful commenters.

2 Likes

Nah, they were just called ā€œ8-inch floppiesā€ā€¦and the term stuck, no matter how small or rigid the format became!

Our first home computer loaded its OS from one 5.25" floppy drive, and used the second drive for data. I donā€™t recall ever losing any data, though the computer crashed a couple of times in the nine or ten years we used it.

(The next computer ran Windows. And there, dear reader, is where our problems started.)

3 Likes

Our first computer ran on custom built machine code I had to write using only zeroes.

1 Like

zeroes? lucky you. I had to use one before we even knew about this number.

2 Likes

OK, it was worth waking up after only 5 hours sleep, now that Iā€™ve gotten to read this!

1 Like

hat tip

2 Likes

Yeah, Hillary will get those twenty-two votes from hipsters who will only go to the polls because theyā€™ll need to Instagram their vote for Clinton in order to garner the lulz.

Sarcastically, of course.

ā€œHere I am voting for Hillary Clinton. OMG, Iā€™ve become my own grandmother!ā€

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.