Hillary Clinton isn't the only US politician who used a private account to avoid official email

[Permalink]

Well, that settles it then. Do we have to repeal the law now or can they just ignore it?

2 Likes

Hey BoingBoing, can you stay out of this kind of crappy media-fed gotcha politics? The only way to win is not to play kthxbai

2 Likes

So Karl Rove, Colin Powell, Jeb Bush, Sarah Palin, and Chris Christie also set up a private email server, registered to their own home addresses, under a fake name, and sent tens of thousands of government emails through it, and then deleted tens of thousands of other emails at their own discretion?

I had no idea that they did “pretty much the same thing”! Thanks for the accurate unbiased reporting as usual Xeni!

2 Likes

I think this revelation is one reason the Republicans were pushing so hard on Benghazi. There was a big chunk of history missing from the narrative. She was THE Secretary of State after all. Maybe all those emails are floating around in the NSA’s dragnet servers.

1 Like

Never a list you want to be mentioned in. I don’t hate Hillary as much, but she done fucked up.

3 Likes

I’d like to be on the side that’s right because of what we do, not just claim that our side is right because we say so and can do whatever we want because of it.

THIS IS BECAUSE YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR OFFICIAL COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED TO OFFICIAL CHANNELS. FFS, this isn’t a party-line thing. DOCUMENT RETENTION MATTERS.

Can we change SOx to apply to the government too? When I had a straight-job, I would have gotten fired for this shit.

6 Likes

Doesn’t mean we should give her a pass on it. I was plenty pissed when they did that, too. Does mean that the people who weren’t worked up about it then and are now are a bunch of worthless fucking hypocrites, but it sure doesn’t mean we should give her a pass on it.

7 Likes

I’m a staunch independent liberal (a fairly anti-Clinton one, to be fair) but this kind of article is goofy.

“A specific liberal did a thoroughly stupid thing and ought to be held accountable.”

“Hey, hey, conservatives do that thing too!”

Welcome to the politics of the playground. If others did the stupid thing, they too should be held accountable.

Christ.

6 Likes

“The other guys do it too” is not a valid defense.

6 Likes

Don’t like HC, looking for someone else to make a symbolic donation to for the primary, but the entire justification for the Benghazi-snipe-hunt is that the (R)s think people with your concerns are morons and they really don’t give a shit. That may be a hard thing to swallow, but have you actually followed the lameness that is the Benghazi-gate? The lamest lame of Lamedonia. It’s your basic reality-tv editing with North Korean levels of diplomatic hyster… androstearics.

4 Likes

This isn’t new news. We’ve known about politicians doing this since at least Palin with her Yahoo! (or was it Hotmail?) account. Yeah,both sides do it. But nobody every does anything when they are exposed. I don’t care who you are. If people want to whip Clinton for it, fine. They’d better be whipping the Republicans that also did it. If not, then it’s just partisan bullsh-t.

2 Likes

it is only if the other people’s feet weren’t held to the fire, too. and apparently, theirs weren’t.

1 Like

I strongly disagree. The other person did it too is not a valid excuse - not for a 5 year old (who by far, use it the most) and certainly not for an elected official breaking the law.

All those other people should be prosecuted too if they did it knowingly to avoid disclosure laws, but that certainly doesn’t let Clinton off the hook.

Good god, she probably had classified communications going through an email account that some random guy managed.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Everytime we talk about Bush and Clinton as the two obvious candidates, I throw up a little in my mouth. If it wasn’t for the like 3 “wedge” issues that superficially divide them, we would have about as much choice in who we get to have as a leader as the Russians do.

Personally, I am sickened that Hillary is so far ahead in polls. After the miserable failure that was Obama, I would have thought that Democrats would be rearing for some real change. Obama at least pretended to be anti-establishment. Hillary doesn’t even pretend. A vote for Hillary is essentially a vote for Dubya Bush, as is, hilariously enough, a vote for Jeb Bush.

I really, desperately, hope that Democrats pull their heads out of their asses and nominate a real liberal. Elizabeth Warren might be a bit too touchy-feely for my taste, but god damn it all, I would take a true believer who I mildly dislike over a straightup establishment drone like Hillary. Ditto for the Republicans. I would take a crazy fucking loon like Ron Paul long before I would take another fucking Bush.

On the plus side, I don’t live in a swing state so my vote literally doesn’t count. I get to throw my vote in the trashcan of a third party without any sort of regret or guilt. Hurray “democracy”.

2 Likes

I’m fine with throwing Hillary under the bus if it means we can prosecute the other ones as well.

3 Likes

It’s good to know the GOP can rejuvenate the Benghazi nonsense for a little while longer to make life difficult for the Clintons instead of, you know, being in charge of Congress and doing actual governance and oversight.

2 Likes

If Benghazi and E-mail/gate is what the G0P is resting it’s 2016 hopes on, well good luck in 2016, that ain’t going to pull Hillary out of the 2016 race, and it sure won’t keep her out’a the White House.