FCC considers subsidizing internet connectivity for low income Americans

[Read the post]

1 Like

That should make all the GOP types very happy, after all those moochers are already sponging of the US taxpayers.

[note sarcasm Sirs or Madams]

1 Like

This program was actually started by the GOP so poor people had phones to get jobs with. Back in the day when they at least pretended to try and fix things.

17 Likes

Thanks for the info. I remember when we as a Nation were in it to win it together, back in the ole century.

8 Likes

Next thing ya know, tha guvvermint will be wanting to provide paved streets, and let everybody drive on them for free!

7 Likes

$20 broadband?

5 Likes

A $9.25 subsidy means broadband costs $10-20? Where??? I’d happily sign up for $30 broadband, I’m paying double.

6 Likes

I would like to think in a bigger picture - what would it cost to provide high-speed (50MB/s +) connections to every home, school, and library in the country? Including infrastructure necessary to reach rural areas. I bet the total is less than a couple of F-35s but I’m not sure. Providing access for everyone would have more long term benefit, though, and possibly unpredictable benefits.

We’d of course need to be able to examine the router code for government back doors - but still, what would the nation be like if everyone could communicate in that way?

3 Likes

On a parallel note, let’s also provide basic instruction on how to use the Internet, like they used to do in public school for Driver’s Ed. Show people how to use a keyboard and mouse, make an e-mail account, type and print a letter, search the Web, fill out a basic job application. Many people come to the library to use our free computers, then sit staring at the screen because they have no idea what to do next. Library staff could spend all day (and sometimes does) teaching people this stuff.

9 Likes

Grant some bandwidth to the librarians and the postal service with marching orders to provide fair and free public access. Done.

2 Likes

fastershire.com

This is an example of what is going on in the UK- Government funded to provide high speed access to areas that aren’t commercially viable. It’s a Mix of FTTC and some FTTP, with aims of 95% coverage of a high speed product. There is also some work to upgrade the slowest connections- we have a lot of long lines around here!

This is covering two predominantly rural counties, and roughly estimated at 100,000 premises and with a cost of ÂŁ65 million, so a very rough figure of around ÂŁ650 per premises (~$1000).

Obviously some parts of the states are much more sparsely populated, but using that figure and the total number of households (Excluding businesses) gives you $133 billion, so around a third of the F-35 program cost! ( Or maybe around 10%, depending on what ‘program cost’ actually means. What a clusterfuck.)

3 Likes

Just this morning I heard a story about the local housing authority requiring people who’d applied for assistance to reapply online. It makes sense that people who need help getting housing need help getting internet access–if they’re not caught in a catch-22 of not being able to get housing because it’s hard to get online.

5 Likes

You had to poke where it hurts, didn’t you?

God, what a mess.

2 Likes

The FCC could do better. Wifi is free in Havana, Cuba.

3 Likes

Healthcare and internet access for the poor?! Next thing they’ll want is clean water. I’m starting to lose my elite status.

3 Likes

Yeah, we just got FIOS and I thought $50 for 50/50 Mbps is a good deal.

3 Likes

Many years ago when I was on unemployment, before you could do your weekly paperwork online, I found it funny/not funny that the damned envelopes weren’t postage paid. I mean it’s not like stamps are expensive or anything, but when you’re dependent on unemployment, it’s kind of a dick move to require it.

3 Likes

TWC has their “everyday” value internet (which is a kickass 2Mbps) for $14.99.

Ah, see…I’m in Comcast land.

I like to tell my right wing friends, “when you read ‘F-35’, think ‘Solyndra, with a canopy’.”

A surprising number of them agree.