How a Pepsi consultant burned a "$400k game jam" down

Do you even know what an e-cig is? Your statement would lead me to believe that you don´t.

3 Likes

What moron thought watching game development would be xtreme to tha maxx? It’s a very small subset of people who would want to watch games being developed and those people don’t want reality show bullshit. They want something more like How It’s Made.

If you want to see something that was formatted like a reality show, but did things mostly right, try Strip Search (nsfw). They started out trying to make a normal reality show about webcomic artists, but realized after the first elimination that they were eliminating real people. What makes that show is after each person is eliminated, they do the standard reality show goodbye and then Mike and Jerry (the judges) sit beside them and be human.

4 Likes

Certain things are over-represented among people I dislike. Sadly, fedoras are very much on that list.

Also, the “Body is too similar to what you recently posted”-warning when trying to correct my typos is stupid.

2 Likes

I think that only works when you are dealing with people who value being on TV more than they value their own dignity or other goals.

When dealing with intelligent people whose goals you don’t understand, (and who only want to be on TV if it does more good than harm to a community they care about) going for cheap drama can be an expensive miscalculation.

I hope the lesson isn’t lost.

2 Likes

Indeed.

The disturbing insight here is into a mind that expected to be able to put a collection of skilled, talented, motivated developers in a reality-show context, and make them dance to his tune. He probably thinks they are “geeks” and therefore “losers”.

Plus, there is nothing worthy about doing that to the usual reality-show victims either, who as far as I can tell are selected to make fun of people with low IQ or emotional problems.

I cannot be sufficiently harsh about that.

3 Likes

Well, I´d also have assumed that TV production companies couldn´t fathom anyone not valuing being on TV more than they value their own dignity. But I´m glad to be proven wrong.

1 Like

Your assumption probably was correct, though : )

I know, right? You’d think he would at least coordinate the handkerchief.

2 Likes

No, I’m Google!

1 Like

It’s almost as people are starting to realise that in order to stop being spoonfed shit, we have to stop consuming it en masse first. Makes me feel warm inside.

1 Like

In a scenario where the footage wasn’t under the control of the offensive ass it would make sense to respond with “Do you even begin to comprehend how offensive that question is?” but with him in control of it that’s the kind of thing that would simply disappear from the footage. The same would undoubtedly have happened with any more pointed questions designed to make him think - by now he’s set in his ways.

2 Likes

There is a particular dress seemingly common to the PUA/MRA, and “peacocking” through trilbys/fedoras (with brightly-glowing e-cigs) appear to have gotten caught in the crossfire like so much secondary Axe body spray.

4 Likes

I’m guessing that O’Rourke had all his own hair. For myself, I like to protect my bald pate from the elements. Still, there’s no good reason to be wearing your hat indoors.

2 Likes

Yes, I know what an e-cig is, and I never met anyone who ever used one who wasn’t pretentious. It always goes with some kind of attitude issue. And, FWIW, they are NOT non-carcinogenic.

And make the results open-source and available as part of Humble Bundle/Steam. :slight_smile: Maybe a game-a-thon for charity?

1 Like

I think it was really the contestants that burned down the show by not behaving like selfish idiots and having common decency. In the Reality Show world that’s ratings poison. Combine that with the fact that most game development isn’t very exciting to watch and you have a boring show as far as the network is concerned. The guy’s assholish behavior was at least in part due to the producers going crazy telling him to inject some reality show “drama” into the snoozefest or they were out.

The worst part is that if you had the developers talking about what theyr’e doing, how they’re modeling 3D objects or how they’re thinking about the layout of their code, it could really be an interesting show to someone like me, but it would never get produced because it deviates from the reality show script too much, and there is no way they are going to trust the audience that much.

The extra sad thing is that this sort of thinking really hurt Sci-Fi’s creature design show (Face Off), which had a ton of material of people building really interesting costumes using a variety of techniques with a quick mention of why one would choose one technique over another, lightly interspersed with tons of highly annoying “he said she said oh no you di’int” bullshit.

2 Likes

“Green Label Game Jam seeks to provide viewers with insight into the technical and artistic process of developing a game, in the format of a reality competition show. We seek to do for indie games what “Top Chef” did for cooking.”

And, FWIW, they aren’t definitely carcinogenic. . .

1 Like

Dear lord.

TIL it’s okay to judge people based on their appearance.

3 Likes