How not to cut down a fallen tree

[Permalink]

I hop he wasn’t hurt. And I hope he was an idiot and not a struggling worker obeying orders from a shitty contractor. Shit like this is why the good Lord gave us the gift of unions.

7 Likes

Early 2014 nominee for a Darwin award?

3 Likes

Oof. A good friend of mine would need a trigger warning for that. Her dad fell off a ladder and landed on his chainsaw. It was about as bad as you could imagine.

2 Likes

If it weren’t for people who have no understanding of physics youtube probably wouldn’t be so popular.

3 Likes

All these years and I never realize those Wiley Coyote cartoons were actually documentaries.

6 Likes

What other possible outcome did this guy expect?

2 Likes

All I have to do is look at the still picture and I can see what’s going to go wrong. Urg.

2 Likes

He didn’t expect that the limb he was on was more supported by the building than the tree.

He’s not wearing a hard hat or proper ear protection (much less a safety harness,) I don’t see any caution tape marking off the area… so yeah, unfortunately it’s safe to say this is not a union jobsite. Lumberjacking is not unskilled labor.

6 Likes

Some years ago my mom was furious with me because I refused to climb up a tree in her yard with a chainsaw to cut a large limb. “If I were a man I’D do it!”. I just said there were people with the right training and equipment to do this, and I wasn’t one of them. I guess I have better innate understanding of physics than the gent in the video.

1 Like

while there’s still a potential risk, a ladder next to it makes far more sense. Hopefully not a pro- they have quick access to cherry pickers.

If not physics then processes. If it involves heights, chainsaws & seems dangerous, it almost certainly is.

1 Like

I guess this would be an appropriate counterpoint to the “It’s 'ealf and safety gone mad I tell yeh” paradigm.

1 Like

This could be an object lesson for the next generation, but sadly, it probably won’t be.

They should have hired James, the nacroleptic tree cutter…

“It was a million to one shot, doc, a million to one.” - Kramer

Yeah… definitely not a physics major!

Indeed. One look at the vid still frame and you know its not going too end well. If it was Harold Lloyd or Buster Keaton up there…

1 Like

I like how the one guy at the end was like, “top priority is to take away the chainsaw.”

2 Likes