How to build an awesome honeycomb fort

[Permalink]

I really like the design - airy, yet with some privacy. Rather than using burlap though, Iā€™d recommend using something that wonā€™t rot out after a few rains. I recently got a recycled sail from ebay and itā€™s pretty great material to work with - itā€™s durable, water resistant, and depending on the original sail it can be anything from plain white to bold color patterns. The sail I got ended up being about $5 per sq yard, which is a very good price I think.

Also, I think 4"x4" would make better legs for that structure, and Iā€™d want to sink 'em in to the ground, preferably with a concrete footer. But thatā€™s just me.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty cool looking, reminds me of a dorm I lived in (hexagonal rooms).

Unfortunately it has pretty serious ā€˜trappingā€™ issues. In general a play structure should not have V shapes in it, particularly acute ones. Acute Vā€™s are abundant on this fort. Vā€™s are dangerous because a head or limb can be caught in them with the body weight pulling down. Obviously the worst case is strangulation, but lesser injuries can result as well. Another rule for avoiding ā€˜trappingā€™ is that all openings should be less than 3.5" or greater than 9". So that heads and bodies cannot pass through or heads can freely pass.

And, please, iā€™m not freaking out about it and sneaking over to their house to tear the thing down in the dead of night. Just recommending that future builders do 30 minutes of research into structure safety (google ā€˜play structure safety guidelinesā€™) and incorporate it into their designs.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what my dad built when I was a kid. Then if I recall correctly, a platform of 2x4s laid so the 4" part was vertical. The gap between the 2x4s was measured with a beer bottle cap. The roof was angled and shingled of course so snow wouldnā€™t build up. That thing was sturdy.

Rob, thatā€™s awesome. I admire your building techniques, where you just figure it out as you go along. I always wind up researching every last thing and trying to learn the ā€œrightā€ way to do it before I do anything, which results in it being done the same way everyone else does it. I also would have used more substantial materials, but I like how this looks lighter and airier with all the spindly sticks. You can make remarkably strong structures with just thin sticks and lashing.

I like the way your dad thinks; always use standards that make sense both sober and drunk.

Itā€™s also useful when the main incentive used to lure friends over to help build it and a deck built in a similar way is cases of beer. They always had one handy and they could be sure later on that bottle caps would fall through the gap (more for the deck in that case).

eh hemā€¦ I believe the correct term is Honeycomb Hideout

4 Likes

Ha ha! Yes! Honeycomb Hideout!!

2 Likes

Yes my neighbor built one entirely from 2x4, sort of like a large doghouse, but with two floors and a small trapdoor It was sturdy enough that one time it served as a test chamber for a pipe bomb. It contained the blast but gained a lot of character. He had a great pair of nippers that were 1" wide and could snip all the heads off a book of paper matches with one snip.

1 Like

Nice mashup of the Belgian Waffle and Otic Oasys.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.