How to #yolo in Latin

[Permalink]

Thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve seen First Things mentioned in a Boingboing post. I do hope that it will be the last.

ā€œCredo quia absurdum est,ā€ sed ego non volo.

1 Like

Yolent.

Nicely done. My high school Latin teacher used Coca Cola for first declension, and Hocus Pocus for second.

Coca Colaā€¦ Cocarum Colarumā€¦ etc.

2 Likes

There are many more interesting verb forms in Latinā€¦
People should also pay attention to the alternate spelling iolo for the first person singular, which better matches the meaning of ā€œI only live onceā€.

yolabam: (imperfect) I used to live recklessly
yolabo: (future) I will live only once, i.e. I will live more recklessly in the future, Iā€™ll try to enjoy my life more.
yolavero: (future perfect) I will have lived only once, i.e. Iā€™ll get myself killed some day

yolatus est: (perfect passive) ā€œHe has been lived only onceā€, i.e., he has been killed due to someone elseā€™s reckless behavior
yolor: (present passive) not used for practical reasons
yolabor: (future passive) ā€œIā€™m being lived only onceā€, i.e. [You are/someone is] going to get me killed!

And of course, thereā€™s the gerundive: yolandus/-a/-um.
tibi yolandum est: ā€œYou have to live only onceā€, i.e. ā€œGet a life!ā€

With the right verb form, it can be used as a direct insult:
yoles: (present subjunctive) May you live only once, i.e. Go away and die.

The verb yolo also appears in several important Latin phrases:

pecunia non yolet: (present subjunctive) May [my] money not live only once, i.e. I wish I had my money back.

si yolavisses, philosophus mansisses: (Pluperfect subjunctive) If you had lived only once, you would have remained a philosopher. (Now that youā€™ve risen from the dead, people worship you as their god).

Interestingly, the latin verb yolo forms an irregular imperative. While you would normally expect the imperative for yolo to be *yola!, this form is never used. Instead, the irregular form carpe diem! is used.

6 Likes

Swagibus.

This is so full of win!

1 Like

In Greek you have the aorist verb tense, which describes an action that only happens once. Too bad Iā€™m much too rusty to form the aorist of ā€œliveā€, but Iā€™m sure you see the implications.

2 Likes

yolatengo - I only live for indie-rock.

Yolent greenā€¦ is people!

3 Likes

And here I expected Romani ite domum to be listed here.

And of course the song popularised by Mr Dean Martin evā€™'ryone -

"Yolare - whoa ho, ".

2 Likes

I believe reduplication is also popular there, which would perhaps be appropriate for Mr J Bond - yoyolabis.

Volvo - I roll - but only once - and anybody who said it was more is a dirty liar,

1 Like

Shurely that fourth principal part should be ā€˜yolatumā€™, as the first three are clearly the first conjugation (cf amo, amare, amavi, amatum)?

1 Like

That fourth part is a participle and changes ending based on gender. Yolatum would be the neuter form, but itā€™s also common to list the masculine one instead.

More fun are the future participles: Yolaturi te salutant.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.