How You Like Ur Likes?

A few notes:

1. Thank you to @jlw for listening and responding to us. The solution you gave us won’t fix everything for everyone, but speaking for myself, I appreciate that you do listen to us and take an active role the community.

2. Than you to @codinghorror for putting up with our misunderstandings and frustrations. Without you and the rest of the dev/mod team, we wouldn’t have a community.

3. Welcome back @chgoliz!!! Part of me wants mischievously ask you how it feels to be our newly elected queen of the commentariat. But in all sincerity, we rallied behind you because you spoke to frustrations we’d all had, and we like you for you, so you just do you.

4. One possible long-term solution to the problem is to simply add another button (or two). Personally, if I had a very limited supply Agreement Button, a less limited supply Like Button, and an unlimited supply High-Five Button, I’d High-Five a lot, Like about as much as I do, and Agree maybe a third to half as much as I Like. But this would address my main frustration with internet forums in general, which is a lack of contextual granularity. I totally get that publishers, devs and mods want to avoid a situation where there’s a dozen buttons and more dimensional thread trees than String Theory. But a couple new buttons won’t pave the way to the Discourse apocalypse. And if you think it will, then just introduce one new button (Nod and Like?, or we could have a thread on what kind of new button we’d…well, like).

Just thoughts. Still one of the awesomest communities on the Wild Wild Web.

19 Likes
2 Likes

I do all of these except for #4; I also especially enjoy #5 :smiley:

Sometimes when there’s a lot of reading to do, I might go whizzing through a thread and not stop to like things, unless there’s a post that really jumps out and demands it. A like from me can mean any of those various things above, but a lack of a like from me doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

11 Likes

I like my Likes like I like my coffee… bitter and murky.

13 Likes

Of course not.

10 Likes

You’ve put that perfectly!

16 Likes

Look around you. All you see are sympathetic eyes. :wink:

13 Likes

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/category_war/war-roman/0045.gif

11 Likes
  1. Is an awesome thing, and most of the reason I started All the Likes!

This also leads into another great reason to like something - reciprocity. If you like something I feel deserves more likes I’ll like something you feel deserves more likes.

6 Likes

Reciprocityyyyyyyy . . .

7 Likes

Sometimes I’ll like every post in a thread except the one being a jerk. I can’t give negative likes but I can raise everyone else instead.

Otherwise it’s “nice one, have a cookie!” As a firm of agreement or amusement.

13 Likes

HEY! :wink:

5 Likes

Oh god, there’s something totally pavlovian about this!

7 Likes

Now that you mention it, I’ve got a 47-liked post with actual substance…so, you know, if you were so inclined…

What the heck, right? Might as well use my new-found notoriety for something!!

7 Likes

Flagged for hacking.

6 Likes

That was a joke, right? Right???

8 Likes

I could answer that, but it would involve explaining how I use the like function and thus would derail this fine thread.

6 Likes

Its currently 49’d with my +1 - who wants to be the winner winner?

5 Likes

This reads like a euphemism. A euphemism involving disappointment.

10 Likes

And…we have lift-off! Thanks, guys!!

Getting back to the actual topic: I like my likes just fine now. I’ve gone an entire 24 hours without getting that soul-crushing notification AT ALL, let alone up to 5 times before I call it quits for the day in disgust.

11 Likes