I PARKED IN A BIKE LANE stickers

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Perfect to add a cost to often unenforced illegal and antisocial activity. Ten minutes scrubbing will not cause the driver to love cyclists but it might deter them and others when they tell the story.

3 Likes

Art project idea: Park gigantic bicycles in the middle of car lanes. Scale a bike up in size by reversing the size ratio of car to bicycle.

18 Likes

Yay! Two wrongs make a right.

9 Likes

Or they might just leave it to encourage others to do the same.

This reminds me of someone in the late 1990s was putting guerrilla placing bumper stickers on SUV in San Francisco that stated:

HONK, Iā€™M DESTROYING THE ENVIRONMENT

If I remember correctly the stickers came off in the rain.

Needs to be the size of the stickers from the Russian ā€œDonā€™t drive like a d-bagā€ video a few days ago.

1 Like

I need one for cars that wait for a right turn by blocking the bike lane.

2 Likes

After I vote I wear one of these for the rest of the day!

1 Like

I learned recently this is the formal legal way of performing a right turn across a bike lane, I too assumed it was incorrect and was surprised.

The concept is that the driver must signal and merge into the bike lane to perform a turn, preventing a right hook, or sideswipe accident.

Its the price we pay for being part of actual infrastructure.

14 Likes

Thatā€™s three lefts, actually.

What do you think ought to be done, instead of this ā€˜wrongā€™?

5 Likes

But theyā€™re not parked. Theyā€™re in your way, because youā€™re sharing the road with them. Thatā€™s quite different from someone blocking a bike lane with a parked car, isnā€™t it?

10 Likes

Someone could enforce the traffic/parking laws. To be honest, I donā€™t know what ā€œparking in a bike laneā€ is. The only bike lanes I have see are along the sides of roads where there is no parking or the bike lane is along the road with parking on the other side of the bike lane along the curb. Either way, ā€œparking in a bike laneā€ would essentially be parking in part of the road.

But I do know that sticking something on property that is not yours is almost never correct, no matter how justified you feel in doing it.

3 Likes

By the way, what remedy do you suggest I get to make up for all the times I see bike operators not adhere to traffic laws they are supposed to obey?

3 Likes

Probably the only thing that motorists would notice are double yellow lines in the bike lane (which they all should have really).

Motorists probably donā€™t know this is illegal so it would actually be better for the stickers to read (in the UK anyway):

" Illegal Parking
Highway Code 140
hash iparkedinabikelane "

Stick it on the passenger window so a traffic warden might notice it and put their photograph on twitterā€¦

http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/140

One of the wrongs endangers lives for no good reason, the other is a slight inconvenience in service of preventing that. Iā€™ll take peeling off a sticker over being suddenly forced into an automobile traffic lane any day.

8 Likes

Oh if lives are at stake, why just limit yourself to a sticker? Make up a different vigilante remedy.

Further, since lives are literally on the line, I canā€™t understand why the existing law enforcement people donā€™t take it more seriously.

Should I think of the children too?

5 Likes

Not sure how one parks in a bike lane, but as somebody who walks to work everyday I would really like some stickers that read:

I CYCLED ON A SIDEWALK

13 Likes

That someone is YOU, and the enforcement is YOU learning the laws. I mean, seriously.

2 Likes

I suggest a steaming hot cup of getting over yourself.

(also, parked cars are not cars being operated, so aside from being snide, your equivalence was also false)

5 Likes