If you bake, you need a non-stick silicone baking mat

[Permalink]

Been trying to find some locally for years, damnit.

And that set is $22 in Canada for some damned reason.

Surely, you mean

I forgot to make chicken stock.

10 Likes

No you don’t.

6 Likes

I almost always do. I have some homemade stock in the fridge now. I just didn’t have a chicken when I roasted the squash.

To be fair, my ability to accommodate the 25-40 cups of chicken stock that come out of a given batch of stock-making was much improved when I got a deep freezer. And not everyone has space for that - I wedged it onto my apartment balcony but it was close. :smile:

2 Likes

I got a couple of these sheets as a gift. For the sake of rigidity I put them on a cookie sheet. They’re really remarkable.

Cast Iron or GTFO.

You never hear about people with a Silcone deficiency.

8 Likes

Agreed. They’re great, and easy to clean and take care of. They’re a bit off-putting at first, because when they’re clean and dry they FEEL sticky. But they’re not. You can do all kinds of prep on them, but DON’T cut on them.

If you scout around on Amazon, you can find a set of three different sized cookie sheets with matching sized mats from Artisan.

Someone was “baking” when they set the prices…notice anything off?

1 Like

I love mine too.

But if you live with someone that doesn’t remove stuff from the oven and you set the oven to preheat…well, it’s best practice to check the oven before you turn it to preheat.

1 Like

Something else to consider before you order.

Pay attention to sizes for pans. I was given one by my husband that was oversized for my sheet pans.

I cut it to size. Apparently, this is a big “NO” as it exposes the embedded fiberglass fibers at the edges.

Normally I would care about this, but I’m old and used to smoked cigarettes…Just don’t put food at the edge of the pan.

/Edit…for suggestion.
One of the more unique uses is making cheese crisps.
Use a mound of Parmesan cheese on the sheet and bake it. It will make lacy cheese crisps to stick in baked or mashed potatoes.

Another use is making “gummy worms”. Look up a gummy bear recipe online. (Usually Jello, and gelatin and citric acid and/or vitamin c powder).
Then spiral that out using a squeeze bottle.

The silicone sheet is perfect that as it won’t stick. Trying it with parchment paper or wax paper didn’t work as well as the siplat type sheet.

3 Likes

One out of four Horta are diagnosed with silicone deficiency every year. If everyone pledged just 10 quatloos, we could stamp out this scourge. Won’t you help?

8 Likes

Artisan also makes the half-size baking sheets, which are almost certainly the ones seen in the video. I’ve been wanting to try baking some divinity cookies, which are extremely sticky. This might be a good investment.

As for size, you’re right, be careful. I see that what Artisan is calling a “half sheet”, Chefs catalog calls a “large”.

I need to come in here again after looking the picture.
That picture shows veggie caramelized…that’s a good thing and done at lower temp.

Some people would see that and use the silicone sheet for Broiling to get the crispy bits shown in food prone shot.

Do NOT do that…the direct heat of a broiler element will melt the sheet. No broiling with these things.

I love these sheets…but you can melt them if you expose them to above 450 or so…and direct heat like a broiler to crisp up things.

1 Like

If you are baking, you know, baked goods you’ll want to avoid this unless you like crap browning.

1 Like

I guess I’m among the minority in not being a fan of silicone cooking sheets (or other silicone cooking products, for that matter). I find that the results are fine and it does make cleanup easier, but I just can’t get over the whole “cooking on plastic” thing. It just ain’t natural. I’d rather grease pan and use a little elbow grease in cleanup.

2 Likes

I haven’t had the best results with silicone baking. I don’t find the sheets easy to clean properly at all without using a lot of water; they flop around in the dishwasher so instead of being part of the regular load they have to be washed separately in the sink. That’s not energy (or time) efficient. And the various forms need to be put in a metal/pottery/glass version of themselves to hold their shape or else you get loaves that look like flying saucers, etc.

I have a friend who makes herself at home in my kitchen despite having no business being there, so once she had sliced through TWO of my silicone sheets by cutting baked goods without removing them first I decided they weren’t worth buying again.

Now ask me about silicone for cooking instead…that material makes the best long-handled spoons, spatulas, hot pads, pan handle heat protectors, and sealing rims for containers.

If they made silicone bakeware like the long-handled spoons – a solid metal core surrounded completely by silicone – that would be an ideal solution. As cookie sheets, there would be no contest.

2 Likes

Ummm… do you cook on a pan hammered from meteoric iron?

2 Likes

6 Likes