If you use RSS, give Feedly a try

Feedly works fine for me although I’ve not reviewed my decision for a while. Question: a few sites I like recently stopped their RSS feeds. Is there a way to track them through any of the RSS aggregators anyway?

I tried Feedly when Google Reader shut down, and I hated it. But Inoreader was a pretty fair replacement even then, and it’s gotten better and better since. At this point I think it’s actually surpassed Google Reader both in features and quality.

I didn’t care for feedly when I tried it, but then I was still mourning for iGoogle rather than Reader.

http://www.start.me/ does a pretty good iGoogle replacement through.

Good to read about other users’ alternatives, but I’ve been happily using Feedly and agree it’s pretty good. I’d go as far to say that I only read Boing Boing in Feedly because the two-frame, one-small-one-big, format BB recently changed to is too fussy.

I’m very glad Mark posted this – because I’ve been trying to get away from Feedly pretty much since day 1, but at the time it was the best of the bad bunch I was able to find.

My main annoyance with Feedly is that ctrl-clicking an item doesn’t mark it as read. For me that means I either have to open all the unread items in a folder or lose my place on subsequent visits. On top of that, the Android client doesn’t fully render images on my tablet. They load completely, but are only partially displayed unless I close the item and reopen it.

But now I’ve got a list to experiment with! Thanks, folks.

Add me to the do not like Feedly and use Newblur camp. The boingboing feed does seem a little slow in it though.

Comma feed worked for a while, but it was constantly a pain to migrate from one revision to annother, and the OpenShift hosting was restrictive to say the least. Running an instance of tt-rss on hosting service I already pay for. Upside is that I can access my Reader from anywhere in the world

I’d just like to put in a good word for go read. I tried Feedly a couple of times and just really didn’t like it; I prefer a bare-bones interface for most things, and go read suits me to a T.

I’m not self hosting, I’m just using commafeed.com itself, a little slow sometimes, but I don’t have to worry about revisions etc. I back up my feed list now and again, just in case commafeed.com itself ever goes away.

I have also used Feedly since the demise of Google Reader, and it was a little bit Mise en Abyme when the image in this post of BoingBoing in Feedly showed up in Feedly.

I love Feedly. It does exactly what I need it to do, period. Couldn’t ask for more. :smile:

Clearly I am the sole user of RSSOwl. Stand-alone apps get no love. I’d still be using Thunderbird for my RSS needs if it hadn’t had a bug that caused it to lose the ability to update feeds automatically. (Obviously, I don’t use webmail either.)

I’ve been using gReader since Google Reader died. It’s powered by Feedly, but the appearance is very similar to the old Google format. It doesn’t handle videos well though, so I’ll be checking out some of these suggestions. So far Inoreader is working pretty well for me.

I’d been wanting to self-host anyway, so I ran TT-RSS in a docker container for a while (the only possible way I’ll allow PHP on my box). It eventually went off the rails and started eating a ton of cpu, so I switched to commafeed, which I’ve been happily running for a year or so. Easy install, (much easier than TT-RSS!), nice and featureful, and it also works with News+.

I’ve been using Vienna, set to refresh every 15 minutes, but the BB RSS feed only seems to update once every 12 or maybe 24 hours? All my other feeds update normally. The link I’m using is http://feeds.boingboing.net/boingboing/iBag
on which as I write this the most recent entry is the Octopus Grabs Camera post from ~30 hours ago.

Is there a more frequently fed feed I should be using?

One thing that isn’t clear up front is that Feedly will only track your unread items for 30 days or so. It’ll keep them longer if you star or tag the items, but just know that going in so you don’t lose stuff if you’re thinking it’ll stay there forever.

I am quite surprised that nobody has mentioned Netvibes as an alternative. I love it!

I use feedly, but hate their mobile apps. The iOS app has improved a lot(I still use Newsify because of open in Chrome option) but the android app is slow and clunky. They have an API, but I haven’t yet found a decent alternative on Android.

i tried a lot of the alternatives when google announced they were shutting down google reader, and i just didin’t like any of them so i figured out a way to force google to handle my RSS feeds whether they wanted to or not.

i use an RSS->email service to send feeds to a gmail account i don’t use for anything else and now i can use gmail’s web interface (which wasn’t that different from google reader’s interface) or i can use any IMAP or POP3 capable email client, so it opens up a lot of options. the only drawback is that the subscription management is in a separate service - but how often does the need to manage subscriptions come up? (not often for me)

google services come and go, that’s one of the lessons of google reader, but i’m reasonably confident that gmail is here to stay.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.