Readspike: simple news aggregator

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/23/readspike-simple-news-aggrega.html

4 Likes

http://individurls.com is a similar tool that allows you to choose your own sources. As long as the source site has a valid RSS feed it will work. It hasn’t been updated in years but it still works great.

3 Likes

Inoreader is, imho, the best RSS reader, hands down. You can have as much or as little formatting cruft as you like. 3-panel review is my favorite mode because I can scan headlines very quickly, click on ones that have some interest, and review (usually) some of the preview content in the reader.

1 Like

I use Feedly and mostly like it. They send me surveys occasionally asking me to rate potential features and I always tell them the same thing: the product is done. Stop changing it and slip into maintenance mode. Fix bugs as they come up, but other than that, quit messing with it.

I guess they can’t do that though, so now they are asking me to rank team sharing features. The last thing I want is for them to make it easier for things to be shared with me.

Last week Evernote asked me almost exactly the same thing and I responded by saying that I love Evernote for the core product - an online brain. That’s all I want from it. They want it to become Slack or something. I told them I would have an easier time suggesting three features they should remove than three that should be added.

7 Likes

Yea I like the free Feedly version. On the other hand I gave up on Evernote for the simpler non-cloud version of Swiftnotes.

1 Like

Swiftnotes was nice and it’s a shame that the developer abandoned the project. Do you know if anybody has picked up the pieces to carry on?

I’m a huge fan of the core Evernote product. For me, the big aha moment was during a week of meetings, I was saving whiteboard snapshots into Evernote and it recognized and indexed the handwriting on the board.

I stuff a lot of documents into Evernote with no tagging or organizing of any kind. I rely 100% on search and it just works. If Evernote goes away, I’m kinda screwed.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, and welcome to the BBS portion of Boing Boing.

Check out Dave Winer’s “River of News” concept. I love the concept, haven’t tried implementing it for myself, it would be good for a phone too.

My retinas go haywire over white-on-black text, brrr.

Feedly here too. Ever since Google Reader shut down.

The News+ reader for Android has been my mainstay news app despite it being essentially abandoned. And while that means a few bugs and annoyances don’t get addressed it also means it’s not getting stuffed with useless features and redesigned to look more like a magazine.

Seconded. I pay them for the “premium” version just because I use their site all day every day, not that I need the 10,000 feeds that enables.

I’m lucky I’m so old that if RSS died, I could still go back to books.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.