If you use RSS, give Feedly a try

The developer really ought to farm out posts to the support forum to experienced long-time users with far more tact. He seems to be suffering from “I hate all users” induced by providing support himself for too long.

1 Like

Another +1 for TinyTiny RSS. I pay four quid a month to run a little mini-server of my own and I host it there. I learned my lesson hard when Google Reader was closed down (and I’ve still never quite forgiven Google for that). If you want control of your data and your own experience, you need to roll your own. I’ve not regretted setting up my own RSS service one bit.

Having said all that, the guy that created TT-RSS absolutely terrifies me. I don’t think I’ll ever have the courage to post a question in that forum! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I couldn’t stand Feedly, personally. Now I have Inoreader and it’s incredible. Had it been around in the Before Time, I probably would’ve ditched Google Reader for it.

5 Likes

I use Feedly, but it has some annoying bugs/quirks (at least the iPad client). For one, if you open a Slashdot RSS article, only the top few comments will ever load. Also, starred articles all appear in one super-long list, instead of being sorted by the tags they originally appeared under.

1 Like

I had this issue, their support told me that if I was a pro user they would turn on specific Reddit and CL feeds that I wanted. I asked them why some of the Reddit feeds worked, they said it was because a pro user had subscribed to them.

+1 for Inoreader, their mobile app is great too.

That could be considered a feature. :smiley:

(“I’m a Slashdot commenter, you insensitive clod!” LOLOLOLOL +5 Funny)

2 Likes

I’m also a Feedly fan. RSS is such a perfect way to consume webcomics and other stuff that doesn’t update multiple times a day. I’m actually not a fan of it for actual news sites, stuff like BoingBoing or Rock, Paper, Shotgun, because they tend to overwhelm the semi-daily stuff, and if I don’t check the reader for a few days I come back to an intimidating wall of articles.

Oooh, I do like the lack of animated gifs. Not sure why BB went the route of click-bait animations, but IMHO I find they rarely add to the story.

2 Likes

Another like other folks, I migrated from Google Reader to tt-rss (after trying a few of the hosted options). At first, I was running tt-rss on a free RH Cloud instance, but eventually shifted to running it on my home media server. Pretty happy with it.

I use The Old Reader. Trying to keep up with the 1021 feeds that I have is a complete pain on trying other RSS readers, including Feedly and tt-rss. The Old Reader works for me. I’ve even had to pay the premium for the 1,500 feeds. And I don’t have a problem giving them their money every year. I’ve gone from Bloglines to Google Reader to The Old Reader. Hopefully, I won’t have to change for awhile longer.

I’m another NewsBlur user. I am more than happy to pay for the subscription. I’ve tried out some other readers, but nothing fit my reading workflow like NewsBlur. I think the other folks from the 300,000+ club might understand the need for a good reading workflow :wink:

Feedly works fine for me although I’ve not reviewed my decision for a while. Question: a few sites I like recently stopped their RSS feeds. Is there a way to track them through any of the RSS aggregators anyway?

I tried Feedly when Google Reader shut down, and I hated it. But Inoreader was a pretty fair replacement even then, and it’s gotten better and better since. At this point I think it’s actually surpassed Google Reader both in features and quality.

I didn’t care for feedly when I tried it, but then I was still mourning for iGoogle rather than Reader.

http://www.start.me/ does a pretty good iGoogle replacement through.

Good to read about other users’ alternatives, but I’ve been happily using Feedly and agree it’s pretty good. I’d go as far to say that I only read Boing Boing in Feedly because the two-frame, one-small-one-big, format BB recently changed to is too fussy.

I’m very glad Mark posted this – because I’ve been trying to get away from Feedly pretty much since day 1, but at the time it was the best of the bad bunch I was able to find.

My main annoyance with Feedly is that ctrl-clicking an item doesn’t mark it as read. For me that means I either have to open all the unread items in a folder or lose my place on subsequent visits. On top of that, the Android client doesn’t fully render images on my tablet. They load completely, but are only partially displayed unless I close the item and reopen it.

But now I’ve got a list to experiment with! Thanks, folks.

Add me to the do not like Feedly and use Newblur camp. The boingboing feed does seem a little slow in it though.

Comma feed worked for a while, but it was constantly a pain to migrate from one revision to annother, and the OpenShift hosting was restrictive to say the least. Running an instance of tt-rss on hosting service I already pay for. Upside is that I can access my Reader from anywhere in the world

I’d just like to put in a good word for go read. I tried Feedly a couple of times and just really didn’t like it; I prefer a bare-bones interface for most things, and go read suits me to a T.

I’m not self hosting, I’m just using commafeed.com itself, a little slow sometimes, but I don’t have to worry about revisions etc. I back up my feed list now and again, just in case commafeed.com itself ever goes away.