In final 2013 press conference, Obama promises NSA spying changes, says Snowden "under indictment"

The internet has allowed people to share their disgust without having to gather at the gates of the palace.

The problem with the internet is that is allows people to share their disgust without having to gather at the gates of the palace.

We need to be there in their faces. Obama/Congress et al don’t give two hoots about your clicks and caps lock.

3 Likes

So, if you want to do something about all this, I suggest visiting randpac.com and take a whole 30 seconds of your life to volunteer as one of the 10 million plaintiffs in the lawsuit he’s planning.

Personally, at this point I think it doesn’t even matter whether we all agree as to just how wrong this is, or what any alternative solutions might be. Obama just got through telling us HE definitely isn’t going to fix it - and it would be very foolish to think that the politicians are likely to fix what they broke - whether their part was intentional, negligent, or otherwise is irrelevant now.

This is a legal problem in need of legal answers - and the authority there is the court. And joining as plaintiffs together is how we make certain there can be no meaningful retribution against us and that the court must grant us standing as citizens being wronged. So, if you want that to happen, jump in!

Ten Million Americans can’t be wrong.

Oh, yes they can.

2 Likes

Actually, I don’t know if a guy who used to smoke lots of pot, but has been busting medical marijuana dispensaries in record numbers is “cool.” That’s more like douche bag behavior (along with prosecuting whistle blowers at unprecedented rates, indefinitely detaining prisoners without charges, drone strikes against lots and lots of innocent men, women, and children, and generally promising to improve things while furiously maintaining the status quo).

And if he really does have all the facts, then he’s also a liar.

He said, “It’s important to note that in all the reviews of this program that have been done, in fact, there have not been actual instances where it’s been alleged that the NSA in some ways acted inappropriately in the use of this data.”

This is demonstrably false.

3 Likes

Obama has a Nobel Peace Prize, and Snowden the government wants to lock Snowden away for life. sigh

2 Likes

So the ends justify the means, because I agree with the ends?

Snowden is a Liar, an Oathbreaker, and a Thief. Those assertions aren't disputable. Having said that, I agree with his ends. So, should he be absolved of his crimes because I agree with the ends he professes to champion? You tell me.Black and white are for children.

Sigh… I hate the comment system on this forum. The above is all me. No outside quote, despite the silly shading.

“Scientia Est Potentia”

I saw the TIA logo when the program was first discussed publicly, but not in that large of an image, so I never noticed that little bit of text it had under the creepy “illuminati fantsy” pyramid.

That right there is the answer to for anybody that still questions the motive behind all this spying. It’s right there, in their own words: “Knowledge Is Power”.

2 Likes

Context, dear. Context.

1 Like

Growing up, every single Saturday morning there were many cartoons that featured an evil genius trying to control the whole world by using technology or science. Even as a kid, I remember thinking, “Some people don’t need to see this every week.” It’s like the movie Wall Street that was trying to tell a cautionary tale, but the only message people got was “Greed is good.” I’m not claiming that Saturday morning cartoons are at fault. I just think it’s interesting that we (middle-aged folk) watched so many hours of someone taking over the world and now it seems to be an actual plan. I don’t think “those darn kids” are going to save us.

2 Likes

The man’s a constitutional lawyer. To think that he’d act like he doesn’t know just how illegal and, at the very least since it can be made legal, unethical what’s going on is would be moronic. He knows. He just doesn’t care.

7 Likes

I’m going to look into that.

Ugh, Rand Paul, can not abide.

3 Likes

“require phone companies to hold the data.”

I’m getting tired of typing “I don’t see how this can possibly go wrong” on every story involving any government and anything to do this data.

3 Likes

I always get these two mixed up…

2 Likes

? who are you again? do i know you?

maybe it is over. until that’s official, the crimes committed are still crimes. if the president himself doesn’t see his oath or position as his personal responsibility then those crimes won’t be addressed by him. if i don’t see everyone, merry christmas.
http://grooveshark.com/s/Merry+Fuckin+Christmas+live/4menmA?src=5

1 Like

didn’t they award that racist huckster, al gore, a nice shiny piece of gold? maybe that’s what’s got you confused. obama brought the troops home after receiving that award, but he did bring them home.

I find this position by the administration in-genuine. Perhaps I am simplifying, but if the President’s committee concludes NSA does indeed need to be reigned in (obviously), then Snowden is a whistle blower and not a criminal. If the the NSA is operating completely legally (preposterous) then the position that Snowden is criminal stands up.
But you can’t have it both ways.

1 Like

My only explanation to myself is that, logically, he’s going to err on the side of Orwellian surveilance, because the moment some Bad Thing happens to the US, the people are going to ask, why didn’t HE do a better job protecting us?

It leads to a mindset that values every possible avenue of protection, regardless of the price, because that price is always smaller than the price paid in reputation and lives if we DON’T do it.

It’s a sick kind of analysis, but it’s my best idea for why he does not seem perturbed by this.

I have no sympathy for the man, he is supposed to be protecting what you guys hold dear.

That said, I have zero doubt that within 2 weeks of any actual cancellation of an NSA program there would be some horrible ‘terrorist’ attack which would be immediately blamed on him by the howlers for failing to protect etc. etc. All to ensure a more pliant replacement in a couple of years.

He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. So he doesn’t. What he hasn’t realized is that if you are fucked either way, you might as well do the right thing and stand by it.

Somewhere he said that he reads BB, so maybe he will read this on his vacation.

Barry, you look like complete shit here. Your only hope is to do the right thing, and damn the torpedoes. Sure, the screamers, and your campaign donors will have apoplexy, but you are supposed to be taking the long view. Try to be one of the presidents worth remembering - it isn’t too late. Right now you are just another sellout disappointment.

3 Likes

The problem is that the existence of such a database is problematic in itself. The 4th Amendment means that this kind of database SHOULD NOT EVER EXIST. Unfortunately, most of the country doesn’t have my interpretation of the 4th.

4 Likes