Joy Division's Ian Curtis, an animated GIF

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Weird. It ought to move in the other axis. Time flows slowly from top to bottom in the original image.

2 Likes

It may be Ian Curtis, but the animation is in the style of the Rutt-Etre Video Synthesizer, which was an early experiment in video effects and synthesis, with some of the first realtime video manipulation.

Unfortunatley, there isn’t a lot of information on the web about this the Rutt-Etra technique - the link above is rather thin. If you want an idea of how this type of video effect works, I suggest trying this impressive WebGL demo known as the Rutt-Etra-Izer. It will Rutt-Etra any image you give it, with realtime editing. As an example for those without WebGL capability, here a logo I made a while back, that I’m sure many fans of Ian Curtis will recognize.

It’s a cool effect - and was used very nicely in this animation - that unfortunately was burried by the Cool Tech that immediately followed the work the work of Steve Rutt and Bill Etra, and mostly forgotten.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.