Jughead is asexual

A study in 2004 placed the prevalence of asexuality at 1% in the British population …

Acceptance of asexuality as a sexual orientation and field of scientific research is still relatively new, as a growing body of research from both sociological and psychological perspectives has begun to develop. While some researchers assert that asexuality is a sexual orientation, other researchers disagree.

Asexuality - Wikipedia

Not every guy, just the ones with hands.

Okay… that was very funny!

But seriously here - you really can’t speak for all guys. Men, much like women, aren’t one big undifferentiated mass and I’d suspect the best person to understand and express their sexuality (or in this case, lack thereof) is the individual, no you assuming frankly lazy stereotypes.

3 Likes

You are the one claiming that asexuality doesn’t exist, so the burden of proof is on you.

2 Likes

But even so, the researchers that don’t believe that asexuality is an orientation do believe that asexual people suffer from some form of sexual dysfunction. The debate is about whether they need to be treated or whether they can still be considered healthy without a typical sex drive or standard relationship goals etc.

None of them believe that asexual people are just lying, which is the claim being disputed.

5 Likes

Neckbeards, you say?

I already cited Wikipedia which says there is disagreement as to whether or not it’s real. Ball’s in your court.

That doesn’t prove your claim that asexuality doesn’t exist.

I followed the reference in the article and found that the peiople claiming that asexuality doesn’t exist were trying to medicalise it. Maybe you could tell me how this is different from religious groups “curing” gay and trans people.

3 Likes

It’s okay, you keep it boss.

Awww :smiley:

Awww :frowning:

4 Likes

That doesn’t prove your claim that asexuality doesn’t exist.

Well you can’t prove a negative. Show me an interview or article about people who legitimately don’t feel sexual attraction and that would be one thing. Like I said, I’ve never met a person who truly didn’t feel any sexual attraction and I’d be surprised if you had either. Here’s how that conversation usually goes:

Them: I’m asexual
Me: So what do you jerk off to?
Them: oh I still like girls…

A few more minutes into that conversation and it turns out what they really mean by “asexual” is “I don’t go on dates very often and I’m ok with that”.
Having a low libido IS a medical condition. It’s not the same as a sexual orientation.

I would recommend watching this

There are also people all over youtube sharing their stories.

Also the claim is not “no sexual attraction” for everyone although it is for some. However the label is very useful for people who are happy with no sex in their relationships or with no relationships or sex. It lets them explain what they want out of life without having to “admit” that they are broken or bitter when they don’t feel broken or bitter.

5 Likes

I’ll give it a look.

I am very skeptical of self published claims with regards to anything about sexuality. I’d accept aggregate data and research by third parties only.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. — Richard P. Feynman

You also can’t ask people what they would or might do, because they lie, to themselves most of all. You must observe what they actually do.

1 Like

Auto-fave for Feynman quote. Good comment, too. :slightly_smiling:

(Nobody can deceive me like I do!)

1 Like

I absolutely agree. It’s just that often people have to start advocating for themselves before the research gets done so this is how these things start. It’s also going to take a while to disentangle social stigma from dysfunction. It used to be easier to make a case for homosexuality as mental illness because many homosexuals were unhappy because of the way they were treated and how they had to hide.

Knowing what makes you happy is not easy by a long shot. But so far it seems like some people feel better when they stop trying to fit into the normative pursuit of relationships, and not just in the giving up sense. But some people will jump to a label to excuse giving up. That’s inevitable.

3 Likes

I am 63 and have been what is being referred to as ‘asexual’ for all my life, I did not refuse sexual encounters, I merely do not seek them out. If an interesting person wanted sex with our relationship I accepted that. If all they wanted was sex i turned away as I do not see the attraction.
I must mention I am autistic, most relationships are based on silliness in my opinion. If I do not occasionally jerk off I get a wet dream about every three months, usually that is how it goes. Biology, not mind.
I agree with those who do not consider it a ‘condition’, it the way I normally am and causes no consternation except when harassed by those who insist I be exactly like them, you know, obsessed and prone to acts of stupidity.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.