Krokodil, Russia's rot-your-flesh zombie dope, appears in Phoenix

Well, that and the fact that home cooks may use combination OTC products with other ingredients besides codeine, and that most home cooks do sloppy, poorly-controlled stovetop synthesis with no purification or quality control that produces a product that often includes leftover unconverted codeine, other unintentionally-produced synthetic opiates, and an assortment of irritant and caustic by-products as impurities

Also, product offered by dealers is often debased with other chemicals including anticholinergics like tropicamide (found in OTC eyedrops), in hopes of ehancing and prolonging the high.

The drug itself is not wildly different from many other synthetic opiates, in terms of its dangers and side-effects. Itā€™s the easy availability of inexpensive precursor ingredients, and the simplicity and speed of crude stovetop synthesis that makes it simultaneously very appealing to users, and very dangerous to them.

2 Likes

Aye, you can get codeine linctus in bottles here. Iā€™ve been prescribed the doctor-only version (MUCH stronger) for a really bad chest infection, and the chemist rang the doctor to check, as heā€™d given me a litre of it. I was fainting every time I coughed it was that bad, however.

This is already being seen in England, we have had 6 cases in Sussex already in the last 6 months. Its actually spread from Russia down into Europe then England and now America.

I was under the impression that Russia had banned OTC codeine sales, but that a lot of pharmacies continue to sell it without prescriptions.

I sometimes practice my very rusty Russian by reading the news. (Especially from Vladivostock. That is one of the most oddball places on earth. Iā€™m kind of convinced it is the Russian Night Vale.) The first time I read about krokodil was a couple years ago. I donā€™t get the sense that this is some ā€œdrug war hysteriaā€ to prompt eye rolling. Itā€™s people already in terrible situations sinking further, unable to afford their usual fix and turning to half assed cheap alternatives to stave off the misery of being physically addicted to shit like heroin.

2 Likes

What kind of chemical or human process would make a person so self-destructive as to keep taking kroc while limbs are rotting?

So your argument is ā€œThis canā€™t be real because hard drug users have sound financial judgmentā€?

3 Likes

After careful consideration, I have decided not to Google krokodil.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s not real, Iā€™m saying itā€™s not a real issue, just like people using ā€œbath saltsā€ and chewing peopleā€™s faces off somehow never turned into the next big drug craze. As to the rationality of drug addicts, Boing Boing is here to enlighten you!

Maybe not the face-chewing, but I guarantee you that Europe has a massive problem with Mephedrone.

TBH it probably stops the pain somewhat, which would be motivation right there.

By the way, there is nothing special about these pictures that you wonā€™t see if you google any other cause of necrosis.

You must not live near the twin tiers (southern NY northern PA). Most everything from Binghampton to Lake Erie is a meth riddled wasteland, and I say that as a resident.

And if you donā€™t believe it, look at how they vote! It all makes sense now.

A friend came back from Jamaica with a couple bottles of paragoric, and not the pink stuff either.

The funny thing was it was in bottles that looked exactly like the vanilla extract bottle. I think she bought it OTC and the price tag was like $2.

Iā€™m going to make two predictions now.

1. In places where over the counter codeine is sold, the existence of krokodil will be used to justify restricting it to prescription-only.

2. In places where over the counter codeine is not sold (like the US), the existence of krokodil will be used as an argument against selling it over the counter.

2 Likes

Except you donā€™t have to make the product more dangerous purely as a consequence of its production. You can make it more dangerous simply by making it only available from criminals.

2 Likes

I prefer huffing kittens

You are correct. Iā€™m in Boston. We have a heroin problem, since we have a port, and itā€™s still possible to smuggle things by it. But not much meth. Which means no meth fires. And so far, no krokodil.

Then, Codeine will be restricted and we need to know how to synthesise Codeine from the more readily available starting material of Krokodil, using a one-pot synthesis

^ Follow this advice.

2 Likes

I bet having your limb rotting would increase your interest in opiates, above and beyond any addiction-related incentives. Necrosis probably hurts.

1 Like