Let's write a movie. How hard could it be?

I can only write using an antique typewriter. Will that be an issue?

Oh, if only Google Wave had taken off. /s

I’ve read a few things about Slack which sounded interesting, and it integrates with Google Docs, apparently.

3 Likes

I used to be a professional tech writer, so better than the average bear with word processing. I’m going to recommend that you just let people do the best they can and use minimal macros, styles, fonts etc. Then at the very end you can make it look pretty. Otherwise it’ll be a total mess. You are a the mercy of the lowest common denominator on a group project - aim low.

2 Likes

Just checked, and there appears to be a package available for LaTeX for screenplays.

We could do it that way :smile:

1 Like

Oh cool - I had not heard of this program.

Yeah, I did the LaTeX thing for some screenplay thing on a whim about 8-9 months ago. It was beautiful. Though kind of a pain to do at the manual level I was messing about with. Also, anyone who finds a screenplay’s typesetting beautiful (even a glorious LaTeX one) should contemplate their (I mean mine) priorities. :laughing:

Abridging summation…

2 Likes

As a Discordian, I find the juxtaposition of this image HILARIOUS (no one wants to hear the details but if anyone thinks they do, I will happily share). However … :wine_glass:

I may be slightly off because I’m drinking.

I think I managed to summate the abridgement instead. :neutral_face:

1 Like

so I loaded in a screenplay formatting app but I am planning right now to copy and paste the existing text and play with it in another doc, because when I started messing around with it I found the document already had a lot of formatting I was going to have to strip out.

I saw the sample text at the start but can someone point me to an article that explains screenplay formatting a little more?

Thanks

The first thing that comes up in a Google search seems to have all the pertinent info. It’s pretty short, too.

http://www.scriptologist.com/Magazine/Formatting/formatting.html

I had a couple thoughts reading through this thread. Just throwing some stuff out there.

First, there’s a strong whiff of scientology here. That’d be an interesting take on the post-apocalypse religion trope. In this case, rather than worshipping an atomic bomb or whatever, scientology or a thinly-veiled version of it (which has survived because it’s funded by the elites) has a huge wave of support and interest because the elites managed to do what scientology claims (more or less). Except the people who flock to scientology now are people who don’t realize it doesn’t have anything to do with what the elites actually did. They would have an interest in someone playing around with transcendence. That requires a lot more thought to mesh properly with the story though.

Second, I saw a lot of parallels in the ideas here to the Q collective from Star Trek TNG in the way that transcendent beings interact. For example, despite all Qs being omnipotent and presumably equal in power, there is in fact a high council of the Q (I don’t remember what it was actually called) and Q (the one Q who is a screen character) gets banished at one point. Some useful ideas there regarding transcendent beings.

Finally, there’s also an obvious aspect of Sliders here, more than Quantum Leap (which is one of my favorites). Well, this has been merely hinted at here, so far. In Sliders, each alternate trouser/universe is radically different because they diverged at some (varying) point in the past. Their method of traveling (sliding) between universes transports them physically though, so it’s different. However, I bring it up because it’s something that often bothers me about alternate-universe type stories - I just don’t know how believable it is that when you slip into an alternate universe/timeline, so much is the same. In Sliders, they slide into another timeline and everything’s crazy different except that it’s still San Francisco and the streets/buildings are the same. The Back to the Future movies explore this issue really well, actually - the alternate timeline in BTTF2 makes a lot of sense, for example, and the characters still exist but are very different because of circumstances (though their core stays the same).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 746 days. New replies are no longer allowed.