Limited-edition tortilla vinyl: here's what it sounds like on a record player

[Permalink]

I’m sorry I actually thought this might be a thing.

4 Likes

This… seems to be in poor taste…

5 Likes

You just posted a great entry on the outdated misogyny and racist humor of Sabado Gigante. What just happened here?

4 Likes

Wow. That sounds is a lot clearer than I thought it would be. Wonder if gluten free would add to a deeper bass?

2 Likes

Corn flour tortillas give the richest reproduction of the full original acoustic spectrum…

Pretty sure if this was a real thing we would have audiophiles claiming their “hybrid of North American and Incan strains of corn produce the most authentic sound. Class IV Gamma Irradiation insures the most stable longevity of tortilla playback technology.”

1 Like

It would be interesting to find out if Latinos found this funny. I wonder if a different song would be funnier?

1 Like

You find this form of humor… stale?

5 Likes

It just lands a bit flat.

5 Likes

It’s admittedly pretty corny.

5 Likes

And again we see that tasteless, racist jokes are okay on BB, but only if they are made by the proprietors. I continue my slow backing away from this “Directory of Wonderful Things” (in favor of a gravitation toward Neatorama) as its hypocrisy continues to swell.

1 Like

Legitimate questions. Is it racist to imply a humorous association between a traditionally Mexican food and a form of traditional Mexican music? Possibly! Racism is complicated.

Thought experiment: would this joke be funny if it were

• A crĂŞpe that played French cafĂ© music?
  • A latke that played a celebratory Chanukah tune?
  • A pizza that played Italian opera?
  • An apple pie that played the American National Anthem?
3 Likes

It would be as funny, at any rate.

1 Like

http://giphy.com/gifs/racist-thats-mexican-TWhOmZ783UrwA

I dunno the name of that tune, but I’ve known it since childhood. It’s the Speedy Gonzales music. Even if it has an august heritage in Mexico, it’s pure distilled stereotype in the States. No, don’t have the pizza play Puccini - have it play That’s Amore.

1 Like

Speaking as a Mexican national, (I’ll not comment for people who identify as Latino as they usually don’t unless they live in the US and have that label put upon them.), and frequent visitor to your country, (Lived right on the border all my life).

It’s funny, but also troubling because I’ve talked in real life with people from the US who are genuinely surprised that Tijuana has paved roads and an airport. I don’t think it’s @xeni was being mean spirited, its Poe’s law in effect.

Now that’s funny. (Too bad it doesn’t look like a corn tortilla.
/pedant)

5 Likes

It’s the Mexican Hat Dance song.

Stale af. At best.

Did this come from the same source as this?

1 Like