Macro photos of electronic components

[Permalink]

Sorry, not macro. Close-up, yes. Macro, not even close. My macro can’t get much more than the ‘97’ of 1997 in frame on that quarter shot. When there are pics at that level of detail, I’ll agree he’s the got the macro game going.

Sorry, forgot to take my SnarkAway™ this morning. These are macro…any time you can fit a whole coin in the frame you’ve made it to macro. And my max’d out 35-80mm ‘macro’ does not only show all the date, but also a portion of Washington’s neck and a bit of the motto (WE and UST)…so I must have forgotten my ExaggerationLite™ pill as well.

Macro is defined as at least 1:1 reproduction.

On a DX sensor, that’s 24mm by 16 mm. On a FX sensor, it’s 36mm x 24 mm.

At some point it becomes microphotography.

I know the people who live here!

If you ain’t focus stacking, it ain’t macro!

1 Like

Hey, I’ve been known to do that…

Classy style
Derilicte style

This is the world I live in as a circuit designer. I automatically reach for my stereo zoom microscope when it’s time to see if there’s a bad solder joint or something.

I’d recommend taking photos of phone circuit boards for examples of high-density, Hong Kong-style electronic component neighborhoods. You can get a taste by looking at the iPhone teardowns on iFixit.

Haven’t seen a centerfold like that since the heyday of Byte.

1 Like

If you want to see what real wiring is like, try the RCA TK-15 (1950s) camera:

I wish this was a collector’s item… still a neat toy - it unfolds!

As a software engineer I take pictures of boards like the above with the highest resolution SLR I have handy. It saves you from that moment when you need to look at the back of board that It’ll take you 15 minutes to disassemble a case/product just to get access.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.