Making a uniform for daily wear

I wear jeans and a black, v-neck, microfiber t-shirt (the Mossimo “ultimate” tee from Target) more days than not. I change it up with scarves and earrings, or by adding black jackets/cardigans. Occasionally I wear a colored cardigan, but even if I’m not really “goth as a lifestyle” any more, I’m uncomfortable if I don’t have enough black on. I have probably 15 of those tees, and buy more when they go on sale every so often.

Makes laundry easy, anyway. OTOH I have a closet full of skirts, blouses, and dresses that I really need to wear more, but that means putting together outfits, and wearing tights.

1 Like

Those are supernaturally comfortable.

1 Like

Great insight. If you’re not spending oodles of money on your clothes in NYC, you may not get where you want to go in your career – and not just women. Although men can at least get away with a couple really expensive suits and be fine, while women can’t do that so easily.

I live in Vermont, now. It’s even more casual than Arizona was (where I grew up and spent my entire life until recently). It’s fantastic. Most of the women here don’t wear make up. I’m among my people.

4 Likes

I’m a lawyer, so I’m pretty sure the distinction isn’t blue-collar/white-collar. It’s important that it’s a small place and we don’t see customers or clients, though. If I wore gray chinos and black crew-necks everyday, I’d get a few jokes for a while, but I’m fairly sure it wouldn’t change how I relate to my colleagues. Where I suspect I’d start to raise hackles is if I started to be conspicuously more dressy or formal than the office norm.

I know my workplace isn’t typical, but I can’t imagine that it’s unique.

1 Like

I only see my clients in person a couple of times a year. For the big one, I do wear something suit-like, slacks and a blazer usually, but one time I wore a skirt. My partner said “you own a skirt?”

My regular (home office) uniform consists of pants and tops of t-shirt-style cotton material, in various colors. In the summer the sleeves are short, in winter they are long and layered. They are close to pajamas, except the pants have pockets and I’m not embarrassed to go to the post office in them.

I know what you mean! I need to at least wear my bathrobe over my pajamas if I’m going to the post office.

4 Likes

. Where I suspect I’d start to raise hackles is if I started to be conspicuously more dressy or formal than the office norm."

That’s code for ‘job interview’ :slight_smile:

Hear hear! I can attest to the value of knowing how to sew. I’ve hand-cobbled busted boots and shoes back into useability myself. Gotta say, it’s not easy, and in my case, it’s never good. But at least I can make my old, worn out boots waterproof every winter.

1 Like

Does anyone else recoil in disgust at all that clipping? That looks like it was recorded with a Mister Microphone.

1 Like

That’s not even the flattest track on the disc.

I’ve turned off “show clipping.” Don’t Worry. It still clips.

Yeah, but to be fair the whole shtick in Hiding all the Way is the enormous organ part, and the sparseness of the verse. I’m pretty sure that tune is supposed to clip in an ugly manner.

–edit-- if you are analyzing tunes and knew this album off the top of your head then I’m sure youre familiar with NCs background. I had always chalked up his later sound (compression and clilping included ) as conscious artistic choices. He does the same in his live shows.

In my opinion, clipping on digital media constitutes a crime against music. I can’t really blame studios for levelling though. Back in the 80s and 90s and even today, it’s kinda industry standard, and since everyone uses levelling, studios that don’t compress the crap out of their music end up having issues on the consumer side of things because people in their cars driving don’t have much dynamic range available in their hearing, and don’t want to futz with volume controls on the road.

1 Like

from a practical standpoint, I agree. When I worked front-of-the-house, I had a dress code and finding a bunch of identical Dockers synthetic golf polos at the discount store was a huge boon. But I enjoy the self-expression of dressing; I’m from an art background so getting it “right” in terms of colors and patterns, cut and etc comes as second-nature. But I think coming up with a uniform on your own like in the topic is sort of a best-of-both-worlds scenario in many ways.

I feel ya. gotta at least attempt to rep those cultural-identifier garments that survived those years into our current “I’m not in the club/school anymore” mode. it’s important, dammit.

If I can get a locker installed at work, I’m going to start being much more of a clothes-horse. I’d like to wear somewhat dressy(er) clothes
regularly and just hang them up and switch into a coverall when I get to my kitchen. They give me aprons but I have to wear wack shoes and clothes I don’t mind inevitably getting stained when the hood drips grease on my shoulder when I’m on the grill, for instance. I hate going to the store or seeing people after work with my most bland, and grungy, clothes on. since I’m a bike commuter, I’m seen during my commute, too, and word is bond some dude offered me his sandwich the other day because he thought I was homeless. my beard is huge, I know, but it’s in fashion! gotta wear nice clothes if you’re on a bike with long hair and a beard over the age of 30, I guess ┐(´∀`)┌

yeah, that’s the hell of the situation. with headphones or on my home system, I don’t want compression, but when I had a car or now in my noisy-assed kitchen, I totally do want compression.

3 Likes

Last off topic reply–like analog distortion it is just a different sound when done on purpose. Distortion while listening to an LP of Schubert is terrible, but grating/ugly digital clipping and “walls of sound” are appropriate for other music.

(Disclosure: a good friend of mine uses nerve stimulators in his noise shows, so I listen to some weird stuff :D)

Last edit, I promise.

Ugh. I worked as the “demo coordinator” for a fancy grocery store that rhymes with Schmole Schmoods for two years after finishing my PhD internship, while I was starting my private practice. My work wardrobe was three long skirts in grey, black, and grey plaid from Old Navy, and five black long-sleeved t-shirts, plus leggings underneath for the days when I worked standing in front of an open cooler. Plus black motorcycle boots or Converse. I was moving product in the warehouse, cooking food on the floor, etc. etc. and I was miserable with the monotony but it wasn’t worth getting my good clothes dirty and smelly.

Right? [sigh] My 25-year-old self thinks I’m such a conformist asshole. And cute goth chicks/guys don’t even give me the time of day. Adulthood can suck it.

1 Like

shakes hand

One positive thing is Portlandia and Garrison Keeler get waaay funnier.

2 Likes

Agreed about GK. Portlandia just makes me heart-attack level of anxiety.

2 Likes

I mean, I guess I’m OK with it, but the thing with our young would-be peers is such a trap. “I swear I’m cool; no seriously, I’ve seen Iggy!” just reeks of desperation. You gotta just let that shit pass you by. Play it cool and wait for them to engage you is the only way to go, here.

I’m probably the minority on this board, but I straight up just don’t find that show funny. Elusis is right, it puts me on edge. I guess that’s the key to that humor, but I really don’t find it enjoyable. The theme music is pretty dope, though. Kielor is the same as when I discovered him in 4th grade: comfy and reassuring with patches of laughter. If it comes on, I won’t change the station, but I just let it wash over me in the background ¯\ __(ツ) _ /¯

3 Likes

I love me some GK, I hate me some GK singing, and grow weary, very quickly, of the folk musing in APHC. I’d rather listen to his self-read audiobooks.

2 Likes

I adore his singing :). But when he gets mad during a cowboy sketch is my fav.