Making a uniform for daily wear

“Boring suit” is code for job interview. I think that what I’m sensing is some rather mild peer pressure that encourages everyone to stick withing the range of the group consensus on level of casualness. I’m not inclined to try to change that. I used to have to wear pumps every day, which I found truly painful; my colleagues have similar experiences.

That’s funny, because I like sewing for making more unusual things than I’d buy in stores. If I’m shopping it’s Old Navy for plain t-shirts and basic pants and dresses. If I’m sewing, it’s retro-inspired dresses in funky patterns and colors or reproductions of some cool outfit I saw on TV. My stash of notions is about to the point where sewing actually becomes cheap, but I’d go mad sewing the same thing all the time.

I get jealous when I flip through the ladies’ section of the pattern catalogs. So many more options! I stick to the same shape and vary details - embroidery here, quilting there, etc.

And I’m with you on the cost - if I can find a quality fabric on sale I will buy enough for multiple items, then I’m making shirts at <$15 a piece. I always tell people that when you sew you don’t compare your materials cost to the price of a shirt at Penney’s - compare it to the prices at Nordstrom.

1 Like

Back in the day there was a place on lower Broadway called Moe Ginsberg that was the ultimate place to buy mens suits. The store occupied a few floors above ground level in a kind of loft configuration with floor to ceiling racks of suits and it seemed every employee was “old Jewish guy in his 60s” and had been born in the place and possibly never saw sunlight. You might be looking at a particular suit and the guy would just emerge and say “thats not the one for you, try this one” and he’d always be right.

I have to say, the russian uniform in question would look “hip” or “cute” or whatever on a slender young lady. On someone older it’s going to make them look like a member of a rather dour religious sect.

2 Likes

Hey, that’s sectist!

3 Likes

Adopt a style similar to Cayce from William Gibson’s Pattern Recognition (I just got around to reading it, yeah, yeah, better late than never :P)

CPUs - Cayce Pollard Units

1 Like

You can buy yourself the jacket if you like.

http://www.historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=59

Unfortunately, they don’t make 'em in fat bastard size. :wink:

A pair of trousers, with large thigh pockets big enough for a 9-inch reader or a thick book, black or camo. A well-worn flannel shirt with two large chest pockets. In colder days a shirt underneath.

Comfortable (the most important part - other people have to look at it but I have to be in it), fashion-resistant (so the same set can be used for years, saving effort on thinking/deciding), built from off-the-shelf components sometimes with minor sewing-machine modding (same effect but less effort than design from scratch).

Like it, good. Don’t like it, not my problem.

1 Like

Portlandia makes me mildly uncomfortable because it describes some of the stranger days I’ve had in Ann Arbor a bit too well. I suppose it fits into “funny because it’s true” territory if you live in a particular subset of US cities.

As for uniforms, for the millionth time, I’m gonna suggest a huge missed market opportunity for Garanimals.

2 Likes

maybe that explains a lot about me, since A2 was how I first experienced the world. I don’t have much experience with that city as an adult, though, so i guess the pendulum has truly swung the other way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.