Manatees on ice

[Permalink]

1 Like

If the water temperature dips below 68 degrees F for very long, they can get sick and die.

So they’re like the human residents of Florida?

8 Likes

Not counting the Canadian snowbirds.

1 Like

They use outside water to condense their steam generation water, it’s not used to turn into steam itself. Still makes a nice warm spot for manatees and other beasties.

1 Like

They should move to Costa Rica, it’s really nice there.

We scuba dive in Blue Springs when the Manatees are not there. Late or early in the season, the run will have a few of them down towards the St. Johns River. By law we can’t touch them even if they come up to us. Over by Crystal River, they let you touch them while snorkeling.

You can check them out (smile, your on candid camera) them at this website: http://www.savethemanatee.org/cs_manatee_cams.html Sometimes you get to see a mommy and her calf.

1 Like

Well, not really a “naturally hot pool” — actually a brisk 73 degrees; man, that feels icy on a hot summer day — but importantly, its temp never varies. So it’s a reliable refuge when other waters threaten to dip below 68.

Coming soon!

DISNEY’S MANATEES ON ICE

1 Like

The body of water I’ve spent the most time on in the past few years is Lake Superior. Trust me, 73 is naturally hot. It’s all relative.

2 Likes

Haha, yes, I suppose growing up in Miami, August ocean temp 90-plus, does
color my judgment. But I have also submerged myself in glacial meltwater so
I know where you’re coming from.

Oh, the huge manatee!

Be well Manatees!

Also…Manatees Dressed as X-Men

Especially if they stop earning money…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.