Mapping ecotpian jungles onto Google Streetview

[Permalink]

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You’ll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You’ll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you’ll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway…Feel better, champ.
-Fight Club

1 Like

Apparently “ecotopia” will involve covering all roads in several feet of translucent, quivering green-brown slime. I would like to opt out, please.

1 Like

It’s fun to learn new made-up totally fake words like “ecotopian” and “ecotpian”, but even more fun to make up your own meanings.

Shut up. This is Boing Boing. Words mean whatever Cory says they do, and he gets to make up new ones. Also, headlines need not reflect the contents of the stories they head.

2 Likes

When does google earth get a flight sim?

Maybe it’s just a reference to Ernest Callenbach’s excellent Ecotopia and Ecotopia Emerging.

1 Like

It’s just a tpyo. He meant Epcotpian. It’s a Disney thing.

2 Likes

I misread the headline as ectopian which made some sort of sense with the picture of the ectopic trees, or maybe I saw the picture first & then tried to make sense of the word. That link is great - my neighborhood looks much better.

for a modern flight sim, you want topography. google earth is just flat earth plus selected buildings.

Cory meant to write ecotopian of course, and he was referencing the title of a 1970’s book about an ecological utopia.

https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148089?hl=en

2 Likes

It’s got some topography… Grand Canyon, a few mountain ranges here and there.

You have to admit what Terah_Phahr said was a perfectly cromulent statement.

Google Earth has topographic data for the whole world. Are you thinking of Google Maps (which can also show topographic data in the Terrain layer)?

You can put your own address in and see your home covered in climbing jungles

No I can’t. They haven’t done my street.

As soon as God gets a starship.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.