Math and science cutting boards

I prefer hard wood/butcher block. End grain is preferable. Nicer to work on and more durable but more expensive than edge grain. If you look around you can get a good deal though. I got a 18" x 18" x 2.5" one for around $30. I believe its maple or oak. IIRC it was at Target. Plastic boards can be good. But in my experience you want to go with the commercial grade ones you can get at restaurant supply shops. They’re typically referred to as “poly” boards, apparently they’re made of polyethylene. Most of them are unbranded, but there San Jamar and Sanalite and a few other names out there. They’ll be NSF certified and come in a bunch of shapes and sizes, including custom. There are also brown synthetic rubber commercial grade boards (I seem to remember Rubbermaid making some of these). I kind of like these They’ve got a different feel than the plastic, denser but slightly softer and more knife friendly. And they grip the table well, and are less prone to warping. But I’ve never actually seen on in a commercial kitchen, and a chef friend told me they’re prone to breaking down and bonding with grease much more so than the poly. I haven’t used on frequently enough to know how well it would work out in the home.

Thicker is generally better as thicker boards are less likely to warp. Especially with poly. The plastic boards (and sometimes edge grain) need to be sanded down from time to time to remove the knife marks and keep them sanitary. The poly boards come in a couple different colors, and surface textures. The smoother boards seem to warp easier and much more significantly. If you’re concerned about the sustainability there’s some compressed wood pulp (or something) boards made in the USA that claim to be sustainable. Seems like an ultra-dense particle board. What little interaction I’ve had with them they seem to be just as (if not more so) hard and slick as bamboo. Or just consider that wood is actually fairly sustainable and a decent board will last a life time (often even if poorly taken care of). I’ve also got a small poly board that’s probably damned near 20 years old a this point and still perfectly fine.

1 Like

You are Patrick Bateman and i claim my $5.

1 Like

I believe Charon is still considered a moon, not a paired planet. Anyway, if you’re going to include Eris, why not Ceres, Makemake, Haumea or for that matter Sedna, Orcus and so on?

You have to pick a side; either you’re old school and think Pluto is still a planet, or you include it with all the known dwarf planets. And that would make a pretty big cutting board!

Pluto is a planet, and Triceratops is a dinosaur.

Nitpicking about Pluto and cutting board materials aside, how did they know that tree swing is what the customer wanted?

My girlfriend got me the periodic table one for Xmas. Took a while to receive it, but it’s pretty nice. I’m a chef as well as a food scientist. The scientist in me loved it, the chef in me said “This thing is way too small to be used as a proper cutting board!”

I’ll say that the dwarf planets are real planets then, because it would annoy the astrologers.

What really annoys astronomers is when you call them astrologers. Well done, sir!

No, I mean astrologers.

Imagine them having to make a horoscope using every known object in the solar system, only to find out about another newly discovered dwarf planet.

Oh man, that must really steam their dumplings!

Is that a realistic depiction of Pluto’s orbit, anyway? I though it went inside Neptune’s occasionally.

Ya like Huey Lewis and The News?

I don’t mind the addition of Pluto – unscientific sentimentalists are fine, so long as they don’t try and force my daughter’s school to “teach the controversy” – but that scale makes me sad.

(Yes, lot’s of us may be nit-picking in these comments, but that’s what you get for calling something “science.”)

Came looking for rants about Pluto’s status. Was not disappointed. Would click through again.

So, ya haven’t heard about the positive health effects from fecal transplants? :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.