Millions of bees fly forth from overturned semi truck

You Won’t Beelieve How Millennials Act At This Horrific Traffic-ry!

I went by this on the bus this morning, after a lot of the cleanup had been done. You could tell something big was coming up, since two whole lanes had been shut down, far away from the actual site. I saw the firetrucks up ahead, and the incident vehicles. Then I saw what looked like spilled milk, and then smashed wood, and then the biggest pile of wooden boxes you ever saw, drenched in white liquid. My first thought was that it was a truck full of somehow unrefrigerated milk. But the white stuff was weird and foamy. Then I got a glimpse of what looked like people in beekeeper suits, but I figured I had to have mis-seen it, and they were in hazmat suits, because WHY THE HELL ARE BEEKEEPERS ON THE HIGHWAY? But then I saw the truck with the bee farm logo, and I figured it out.

Like someone else here in the comments said, it was heartbreaking to see. I mean, I was looking at more individual deaths than probably occurred in car accidents in the past decade.

1 Like

If I had to clean this up, I would probably get beekeepers to drag each box into the forest, giving a good proximity for each other and allowing them to move from each damaged box into some trees or whatever.

Of course, I’m not bee expert, so I’m no arbiter of what is and what is not salvageable.

Because bees are really poor at cross-country flying and navigation.

Bees that are used for pollination get trucked from farm to farm, constantly moving to whichever crop is ready for pollination according to its season. One truckload of hives may travel through many states over the course of a year. Many believe that the stress of this constant travel is what makes the bees susceptible to colony collapse disorder. See the documentary Vanishing of the Bees for an in-depth look.

This looks like a job for Doctor Bees!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.