Mitt Romney's bookcase-concealed secret room

I just hope, for the Romneys’ sake, that this wasn’t intended to be a “safe room”. They’re among the few families public enough – and disliked enough – that a shelter-in-place plan for the home actually does make a reasonable amount of sense. Leaking that would strike me as gratuitously rude, since it would then have to be redesigned.

However, given the size, I’m assuming that – like the rest of us – he just always wanted a secret room and finally had a good opportunity to create one.

1 Like

Both are partially correct; it’s actually the LSD panic room.

I have worked with some of these architects on similar houses in the past. At some point the client realizes they are paying for bespoke work and they want to see the craft. Other times the architects will present them to their clients like this as a form of frameable art at the very end.

It’s literally no different for them than going down the street to purchase a hand-woven sweater, a hand-dipped candle, or home-made brownie: They are paying extra for the human touch and want to see it.

CAD is the way drawings are done for people who are building and coordinating. Hand drafting is still done for presentational purposes. It’s probably partially design-build anyway, so you are expecting the trusted contractor to pick up some of the details as well.

4 Likes

Rich ones that charge by the hour for insanely rich clients who want a pretty drawing they can put on a wall and tell people about. They like to build actual models and give them to the clients as well.

Going further to prove just exactly how out of touch with reality the mega-rich are. My community has switched to full-electronic submission for site plan reviews. These “bespoke” drawings will get rejected if they can’t scan readably into a pdf. I suppose it’s nice that some of the older drafters that never got the hang of CAD can still find employment with their skills, but I suspect these hand drafted trophies will die with them. I’ve never met anyone younger than myself that knows what Leroy really is, and if, by odd chance they do, they’ve never seen one in person.

But that’s the thing, I’m surprised these drawings were the ones filed. The hand drawings are typically done for presentation the way architects will do a watercolor rendering or some hand-drawn gift to present to the client.

I don’t like Romney or his politics, but I can’t see how reporting this is in any way for the public good. It just serves the public’s voyeuristic desires and violates somebody’s privacy.

So, you’re saying it generates clicks and views for a website that someone sells ads for? Totally weird. It’s like the people who reported on this news had another agenda other than the public good.

The other day we had a major newspaper reporting on cats who were abandoned on a subway platform. We still have international issues with Syria, the NSA still seems to have no problems spying on domestic citizens, and a week ago the government shut down. You can claim that the news media in general are sucking at their job, but to call out this one thing is like complaining about one drop in the bucket of water.

On the plans it’s just marked as a “wine cellar.” With a car elevator.

3 Likes

The original article in in the Salt Lake Tribune, not some click-baity website, so asking for a higher form of journalism seems warranted.

also, what story is important enough to complain about, so I know for next time.

Perhaps, someone first needs to connect you to the shell company? Just speculating.

You’ll want to take that up with them. Let’s look at today’s headlines of that hard-hitting journalistic standard:
“These dogs shaking in slow motion will hypnotize you”
“Photo gallery: Pets get tricked out for Halloween”
“Utah Muslims reflect on their trek to Mecca”
“Video: Toddler’s adorable LED stick figure Halloween costume”
“Trib Talk: Vince Horiuchi takes your questions about Apple, gadgets”
“Utah Jazz preview: Strategic rebuild starts on ground floor”
“UPD: Decision on charges in judge’s bicycle death could take weeks”

If you want to think that any media organization out there is anything other than a click-baity website (NY Times today: “Alex O’Loughlin Ponders Future on ‘Hawaii Five-0’” and “PROPERTY VALUES What You Get for $1,250,000”), well, that’s just fairly cute at this point. Don’t ever change, the world needs optimists.

As to what story is important enough? That’s up to you, but since I’m not working in mass media anymore, I just do not care. You just should not be surprised that local newspapers actually send out reporters to dig through gossip on local celebrities.

This thread was a lot more fun when we were talking about Batman.

1 Like

Right? I actually kinda like him now. A little.

Next to the powder room, it’s probably the gun room.

I swear there’s a episode in The New Batman Adventures where Harley did that and it ended up being Batgirl who took care of it.

There was a decade long “walls get built real easy” season.

Utah resident here! I haven’t seen anyone expect a high standard out of the Tribune in decades. (the paper is owned by the same corporation that publishes the Deseret News, which is co-owned by the church)

1 Like

In one of the later episodes of BIG O (which is pretty Batman inspired) the butler looks at the big damaged robot, calls up a repair crew who leisurely stroll in from a large garage door, fix 'em up, and then wander out like it was nothing at all. (if I got it wrong, I’m sorry, it’s been years since I’ve seen it).

I have the wrong kind of brain to be able to let that kind of stuff go. As enjoyable as Pacific Rim was, I couldn’t help but be bugged by the logistics of the whole thing. I can swallow a world that’s being attacked by giant kaiju with no problem, but when a movie tries to tell me that the most cost-efficient way of dealing with the giant monsters is to build gigantic bipedal robots that throw punches and brandish entire ships as clubs, well, then the whole thing makes no sense to me.

1 Like

This is what annoyed me most about Pacific Rim.