Monica Lewinsky on what it's like to be slut-shamed by the entire world

Actually, @JonS - those details made it here now because you lazily insisted (in boldface) that I fill you on the details rather simply than go hunt them down for yourself. When I first posted, I politely left off her backstory entirely, and only noted that she’d been slighted the same way that Lewinsky had.

Her story being posted here is the direct result of your request.

Good work, and goodnight.

EDIT: I also never responded to you saying, “no she’s just getting picked on for enjoying sex, like Fluke” - what I said was my own, stand alone statement - or, I would have responded to you.

1 Like

Yeah. Except: no.

I’d forgotten her story, and stated I wouldn’t be going looking for it. I don’t care what it was. I didn’t want you to waste your precious time, I wanted to stay ignorant of the link between her name and the shame story, Which is, I presume, exactly what Lewinsky would like to happen on a much larger scale.

You’re the one who felt the need to leap in and spread the gossip.

Jon - the first thing you did was ask me “Who?” and THEN say in bold that you wouldn’t be googling it yourself.

You definitely asked me to give you the information.

You also started all this because you originally thought I was responding to a comment you made. It was the response above mine, by Brainspore that was responding to you - not me!

I never said anything in response to that comment - at all. I never replied to it. I actually agree that until 2005 Lewinsky milked her notoriety, this is the first time I have commented at all on whether or not I believe she did that after the original events took place.

Now before the Push Your Luck Dragon comes to feast will you please realize that I said nothing against your position, and you DID ask me who Fluke is!?!

Not responding anymore - I’m outta this.

2 Likes

So Americans’ biggest irrational hangup as a culture is anxiety about other workers’ productivity and focus levels at work?

2 Likes

They both took SOME lumps, I don’t know if it’s fair to say fair share. The lumps were very different in character as well. It was pretty clear to most that the moves against Bill were politically motivated, and relatively one-sided. His enemies condemned him, but mostly for lying. His constituents forgave him or said it was none of their business, wasn’t any worse than what any other president had done, and a lot of men probably secretly and symbolically high-fived him. On the other hand, if you read the article, panels of self-avowed feminists mercilessly picked Monica apart and destroyed her, and she was either pitied as a weak stupid woman, or a temptress harlot, by both sides of the aisle.

You also can’t brush aside legacy as if it weren’t absolutely critical. Monica was given a life sentence as a slut-joke Bill had a short, burtal (but again, highly and baldly partisan) sentence, but is now asked for endorsements for democratic tickets, makes appearances regularly on highly visible tv shows, and is lauded for his post-presidential career, and the good works he did while in office.

1 Like

First off, I lived in the DC area at the time of this scandal and have been in the room with both New Gingrinch (and his “mistress” now wife) and Linda Tripp. Yes, the two famous people I’ve been around were two of the most disgusting people in history. My luck.

I always felt really sympathetic to Monica Lewinsky. She seemed young and sexy and fun, and made the kind of exciting, drama filled poor decision that would have appealed to me at that age, and then everyone jumps all over her for being such a trollop. He’s the one who really should have been held to a higher standard, but of course by then we’d elected him knowing he was a total dog and it wasn’t exactly a surprise he went for her, or didn’t try harder to stay loyal to Hillary.

2 Likes

Private or not, the idea of ‘slut shaming’ as an acceptable cultural behaviour is far more repulsive than the idea of a blow job.

It’s weak, fragile, fearful and an easy thing to do. How vile.

Anyone here finds the idea acceptable - let’s hear about your peccadilloes and we’ll decide if they’re worthy of ‘shaming’ or not.

‘Slut-shaming’ - jesus, how can this even be in the vocabulary? No wonder my kids aren’t going to USA universities.

9 Likes

A million times this.

But why do we even care? If some politician makes good or bad policy decisions, let’s by all means dissect them publicly, but if they paint their house’s walls blue, or adopt a kitten, or have an affair, whose business is it but their own?

2 Likes

I thought that, despite infidelity being a touchy subject (and I agree, it is shameful imho)

Sorry, just want to chime in. It is none of your, my, or anyone else’s business, actually. Perhaps they had an open marriage? Perhaps any number of things? But ultimately, why do you care what other adults do with their bodies?

1 Like

The thing is, that was a very crafty thing to say: for a Boomer, “sexual relations” means PIV, not oral sex. The charge of perjury hung on what the definition of that term meant. If it had been a Republican public official, the Boomer definition would have held.

Not saying he was right to commit adultery or use the power of his position to sway a young adult to help him commit adultery, or that he wasn’t using an underhand trick to try to get out of legal charges…just that he did have a legitimate argument that what he said was “technically” truthful. If he’d been a nobody, he probably wouldn’t have been found guilty of perjury for that. Censured by the bar association and/or yelled at by the judge, sure.

2 Likes

Oh, for the day when they say “Limbaugh? Seriously, I’m drawing a blank here…”

6 Likes

Hey, I didn’t know there was a silver lining to that story!

1 Like

If you think of Fluke as a “slut,” that’s your own issue. No one on this board called her that.

3 Likes

She addressed the fame milking question quite articulately in the article with a simple statement to the tune of: “everybody else is making money from talking about what happened, why should I be shamed for doing so.” Your statement kind of suggests she wants the fame, and would do anything for it, which is a bit unfair. She also addresses people saying she was stupid by mentioning that it’s no joke to get a whitehouse internship straight out of college, which I do think earns her at least an intelligence and intern-worthiness benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

So you live a quiet, private life and trust nobody, ever, with anything. Sure you do.

1 Like

Let me put it this way: at the time, I didn’t care. I thought it was none of our business. Still do.

However, that doesn’t stop me from thinking it’s a shitty thing to do to your spouse. I can hold both positions, simultaneously. Anyone with an IQ above room temperature should be capable of that.

Even if they have an open marriage, though…what does that say about Hillary? Sorry, you may be a highly intelligent woman, but you’re not good enough to satisfy me sexually? Is that all women are to Bill? Not sure why we tolerate Bill Clinton’s misogynist, sexist attitude. Do we have to accept those things when a DINO makes the right noises about liberal ideals? Is it, as Mika Brezinski suggested, sexist and misogynist to bring up Bill’s sexism and misogyny?

Because let’s not forget: not only has Bill Clinton been sued multiple times for sexual misconduct and harassment, he’s been accused multiple times of raping women. That they dropped their claims against the most powerful man in the world doesn’t tell me they were lying, merely that they dropped the claims.

I really doubt she’s stupid, but I assume becoming an intern at the White House has more to do with connections than intelligence.

However, that doesn’t stop me from thinking it’s a shitty thing to do
to your spouse. I can hold both positions, simultaneously. Anyone
with an IQ above room temperature should be capable of that.

Fair enough.

Even if they have an open marriage, though…what does that say about
Hillary? Sorry, you may be a highly intelligent woman, but you’re not
good enough to satisfy me sexually? Is that all women are to Bill?

I don’t think that hypothetically “open marriage => disrespectful
attitude”, but we’re getting off topic. Also, it’s up to everyone to
decide for themselves.

Because let’s not forget: not only has Bill Clinton been sued multiple
times for sexual misconduct and harassment, he’s been accused multiple
times of raping women. That they dropped their claims against the
most powerful man in the world doesn’t tell me they were lying, merely
that they dropped the claims.

I should’ve said, “what do you care what consenting adults do…”. I’m
not defending anything Bill did, i just think it’s not up to us to judge
these things (again: if and only if they’re consensual).

1 Like

I’m not sure what’s involved with becoming a White House intern, but I had a roommate who was a Senate intern and that guy was really really really stupid. He was nice, though. But not by a long shot the brightest bulb. I actually have no idea how he got his position, he didn’t seem terribly connected; I think maybe it had to be with being active in the Republican party in college.