John Oliver looks at public shaming on the internet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/18/john-oliver-looks-at-public-sh.html

7 Likes

4 Likes

She talked about his glasses?

There’s a lot of stuff about Monica Lewinsky as well, if you’re into that

3 Likes

Previously:

9 Likes

More like a treat.

Here is one example:

Is there really any reason to name the student? The issue of unvaccinated people is relevant, but do everyone who make a stupid decision have to be named? Isn’t it enough to talk about “a student”?

6 Likes

I dunno. What if we take the vaccination question out and ask in a more generic way? If there was someone in your community who with knowledge and forethought of their actions chose to place children, elderly, and unwell people at risk of death every single day, should we name them?

3 Likes

Hold on…are you equating a story in which a legal adult identified himself and spoke directly with the news media as the same as internet bullying/public shaming?

You missed the whole fucking point of Oliver’s piece I think. Good job.

13 Likes

It’s a good thing that all the public shaming videos that get posted here are always totally fair and deserving.

7 Likes

I clearly remember BB getting on the bandwagon about the aunt supposedly suing her nephew.
It was actually the comment section that clarified the matter to me at the time.

13 Likes

Public Shaming only helps if the person being shamed cares what anybody else thinks.

Futurama%2C%20Bender%20-%20You're%20Serious%2C%20Let%20Me%20Laugh%20Harder%20%5Boptimized%204MB%5D

I knew Jay Leno was kind of a sexist prick, but I didn’t realize he was such an unrepentant sexist prick.

9 Likes

They has a point. Like Tucker Carson nor his viewers don’t seem to give a fuck.

2 Likes

Tucker has three advantages. He’s rich, white and works for a nihilistic bubble that sells to a demographic who’s capacity for cognitive dissonance is virtually limitless. He’s Trump writ small.

The rich white parents of the college admissions scandal who had the misfortune to be famous enough that they got picked out in the media won’t fare as well, but they’ll do better than Not Actually Worst Aunt Ever who isn’t rich.

Just not giving a fuck is no protection against the real social consequences of public shaming and the socioeconomic ostracization that accrues.

5 Likes

I never even heard of this event at all. But I don’t have cable and apparently don’t follow BB closely enough.

or if the person’s family, friends, employers or neighbors care.

Would that Boing Boing held itself to the same standards that Oliver proscribed. A significant number of stories on BB are little more than knee jerk moral outrage. I swear that it wasn’t always this bad, but I have to think back many years to remember a BB that was more about cool things than it is now. Perhaps BB was always like this, and I am the one who changed.

9 Likes

OH! Are you disappointed? Please tell me you are disappointed in all of BoingBoing!

3 Likes

Nah it all seems the same, don’t think much has changed in any direction…

1 Like