Motorcycle lane splitting deemed safe

Neither is intentionally hit & running a motorcyclist who’s wearing a helmet cam.

I too want to be grand marshall of my own parade, every day.

2 Likes

Being a jerk is never a good life choice. What bugged me about this is the unsolicited rudeness. Go about your business, citizens.

(Not that rudeness is any kind of justification for injury, but couldn’t this all have been avoided if people … went about their collective business?)

I’ll take unsolicited rudeness over reckless endangerment any day. Distracted driving isn’t anybody’s own personal business any more than drunk driving is, both are our collective business. People texting/talking while driving ought to be shamed and harassed at every opportunity, until they finally decide “fuck it, this can wait, I don’t need all these people yelling at me.”

(I’m assuming the rider saw the driver texting or whatever, well before the driver reached the light. If he were already stopped when he picked up the phone it probably wouldn’t have provoked the outburst, unless the rider has serious anger management issues.)

I don’t think anyone should be “shamed and harassed at every opportunity”. I remember an episode of Mythbusters where they did a bunch of driving tests and people who were very tired (sleep deprived) performed worse than when drunk. Should we shame and harass anyone who looks tired while driving, too?

I agree that texting while driving isn’t great, but y’know, citizens should go about their business unless there is clear and present danger (driver swerving around the road, etc).

1 Like

Another thing I’d like to point out: just because something is dangerous doesn’t necessarily make it a very likely candidate for wholesale legal restrictions. Riding a motorcycle – even without lane splitting – is dangerous. Much more so than driving a car. And yet riding a motorcycle is legal in all 50 states, and (AFAIK) every country on the planet. Regulated, yes. Usually requiring extra training and licensing, yes. But still very much legal.

And driving in a car is dangerous too – not AS dangerous, but still more dangerous than walking. Heck, walking is dangerous too! You might get hit by a car!

I could go on…

The point is that whether you think it’s dangerous or not really means sweet f-all.

1 Like

That’s MN where they are more likely to do a friendly zipper merge rather than LA where they tend to be super defensive of their one car length advantage…

Yes, super fucking dangerous, actually

Now I understand why my mom was so upset when I bought a motorcycle in high school.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.