Car accident: video game physics IRL

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/03/car-accident-video-game-physi.html

3 Likes

I understand the motorcyclist knows they have helmet cam video that will be highly relevant in determining fault.

I respect their decision to stick around.

But dangggg…

They’re taking their lives in their hand to pull over in that location, pinned against a ten foot retaining wall with traffic going by mere feet away.

8 Likes

At least they don’t have to pull over to the side of the road.

3 Likes

If you’re going to flip and skid to a stop on the roof, at least have the courtesy to end up on the shoulder.

12 Likes

You’re talking about the motorcyclist who is on the freeway, an arms-length way from drivers who are probably texting, right?

And you think the shoulder would be more dangerous?

10 Likes

Lesson’s Learned:

1. Don’t cross the double-white
  2. Don’t stay in the right lane unless you’re exiting or entering
  3. Keep your eyes on the road if you’re driving the car
  4. Scotchgard your car’s interior
  5. Never mind, just stay off the highway.
7 Likes

The gravity coefficient needs to be turned up… too much hang time in this sim.

8 Likes
13 Likes

Boy, you can just see the stupid the moment the gray car comes into frame.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s why it’s inappropriate to call this type of thing an accident - it’s just a crash caused by careless operation. By the way, is the motorcycle lane splitting like that legal? I was expecting the 2-wheeler to be the cause of something stupid.

7 Likes

I understand there are some jurisdictions where “lane splitting” on a motorcycle (merrily zipping along the white line between moving cars as the rider does at 0:05) is apparently perfectly legal, although it seems ludicrously dangerous to me. In any case, I’m quite certain it’s not legal for cars to do it, and it sure as shit looked like that’s what the idiot in the grey car was attempting.

ETA: as someone in the YouTube comments pointed out, at around 0:10 you can see the grey car coming up the ramp, using the shoulder to bypass the line of cars waiting at the light. So not a case of an inattentive idiot caught off guard by traffic, but rather an impatient dangerous idiot who should probably be permanently relieved of their legal driving privileges, assuming they even have any.

13 Likes

car-crash

19 Likes

It is in some places, including California…and I can’t tell for sure as the camera doesn’t capture enough detail on any license plates, but the plates look like CA’s design.

1 Like

It took me a minute to figure out what happened. It looks to me like the left front wheel of the silver car collided against the right rear wheel of the black car, and the friction between the two spinning wheels launched the silver car upward (and thoroughly destroyed both wheels).

3 Likes

Appears to be eastbound CA-4 at Somersville Rd in Antioch, to be precise.

5 Likes

You’d be well advised to stick to Beschizza threads with that kind of talk, questioning the sacred right of lane-splitting doesn’t fare too well under the purview of all BB writers (and for the record, I agree it’s probably unsafe, not least for the unnecessary incitement of road rage for those stuck in 4-wheelers…)

2 Likes

If the motorcyclist wasn’t filtering and paying very close to everyone, he likely would’ve been pinched between those two cars.

I always thought you were SUPPOSED to stay in the right lane unless you were passing or avoiding a pulled over vehicle on the right…

4 Likes

Rather, legal pretty much everywhere in the world except 49 US states.

5 Likes

I think it varies state by state.

Where I live, it’s generally a good idea to avoid the exit lane so as to prevent the congestion caused by people unable to perform the “zipper maneuver.”

Of course, it’s also a good idea to avoid the right-most lane, unless you’re going at least 20 over.

Once again, refer to point 5.

2 Likes