Motown 25: rebroadcast tomorrow of unforgettable 1983 TV special

[Permalink]

Minutes of his feet moving just below frame and a big gap above his head: was the director clueless or is this video badly trimmed?

The medium shot follows the Rule of Thirds.

Iā€™m more impressed by how many of these moves he already had 10 years earlier (eg, in Dance Machine).

Apparently, Marvin Gaye was in the audience. I wonder what his reaction was.

Was thinking the same thing. But seems like the standing / dancing audience messed up the camera angle. Mr cameraman had the choices 1. filming Michael Jacksonā€™s feet and the back of peopleā€™s head or to miss the feet. He went for option two.

I remember as a youth being suckered into it once with the promise of Adam Ant ā€œcoming up soonā€.

1 Like

James Jamerson, the bassist who played on most of Motownā€™s hit records during their ā€˜golden ageā€™ in the 60s, had to buy a ticket from a scalper just to sit in the audience.

This is just badly trimmed. My old copy of the performance is 4:3 and shows everything.

p.s. Iā€™d love to see John Landis release a remastered wide-screen version of ā€œThrillerā€. I wonder if he got that on film or on video (or if that would make a difference - Iā€™m assuming film would be better for a good hi-def outcome)?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.