Muppets tea-ad is brilliant (shame about the tea)

Southerner here, and at family reunions the tea (so sweet the sugar utterly counteracts the caffeine and you’re asleep in forty minutes) is made in garbage cans. As a child, I recall my Dad pointing to the cans being prepared and telling me that we were better than Georgians because they didn’t use a liner in the can.

4 Likes

I like Peaks a lot. But I rarely drink it unless I can get it at one of the dispensers where I mix some of the sweet and unsweet. Despite growing up in Alabama, my family never drank it really sugared up.

Same here, I’m a “Birminghamster” I never really liked super sweet tea.

Me too - Birmingham!

I’m pretty sure I didn’t come up with that one originally, but I like it a lot.
I’m a committed coffee drinker myself, so…

1 Like

Mm, only if you’re OK with risking food poisoning. (Given all the recent stories about contamination of spices, tea doesn’t surprise me given that they’ve got similar origins and production methods.)

And brewing in the fridge apparently tastes better anyway.

Nestea. Say it out loud.
Nomen est omen.

For this post…i love you more than Ice Cream – I Really, Really Do…

Btw…IMHO, Kermit was still a bit of an asshole during his Muppet Show tenure…just more passive aggressive & sanctimonious…I’ve noticed this with others who are in and out of rehab. That shit gets old when it’s served to you on a daily basis by family, friends, coworkers & other close associates…but Kermie made it work for his routines splendidly.

The only time I met Kermit was when I was two or three years old in like 1973 when my dad was managing the Mainpoint in Philadelphia. I remember it well despite being a toddler because he was the first talking frog I had ever met & also, I think it stuck in my head because he and Bruce Springsteen got into a really, really heated argument…my dad says it was about Ford versus Chevy. Dad says Kermit started to whack Bruce in the face with his tongue then Bruce took a swing at Kermit…then my dad, the bouncers and their respective peeps had to wrangle them. Arlo Guthrie was there; he took some 110* pics that my mom still has in a photo album somewhere.

I hear lately he’s trying to reopen/reinvent the Elbow Room Bar in Dutch Harbor, Alaska (featured in first few seasons of Deadliest Catch) as sort of a Vanity-Retired-Celebrity-Hobby-Bar – kinda like Sammy Hagar’s bar in Mexico…that would be pretty cool and all if he can pull it off. On a Charlie Rose interview Kermit mentioned being a WWII Pacific Theater buff and went on and on about how Dutch Harbor was the second Pearl Harbor until Charlie deftly redirected him. I looked up what Kermit was rambling on about and it was pretty interesting. I think Kermit might have been drinking during that interview.

Anyway – when I was a kid & young adolescent…when the shows were still current…I would use the names ‘Hotlips’ & ‘Miss Piggy’ interchangeably for the two characters. Anyone else do this?

edit - *110…I refer to the 110 film format. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110_film

3 Likes

Take all my internets, please.

2 Likes

wait, what’s the movie they’re re-enacting?

Midnight Cowboy.

So?
Films routinely borrow the visual styles of previous films, without necessarily importing the thematic cotent. If you watched more films, you’d understand this.

Wow. From my off-handed comment on an internet comments thread pointing to the humor that puppets from a kids show were imitating a rather serious and mature film, you were able to deduce that I have no idea what an allusion is or that it’s ever been used in film and that I have never seen a single movie. Nailed it again, Holmes.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.