Video ad for temperature control mug would be a great parody, but it isn't

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/17/video-ad-for-temperature-contr.html

5 Likes

Smart Mug? Ain’t that just your face?

12 Likes

Well at least he made a WeChat friend.

I on the other hand am experiencing so much cringe.

9 Likes

Ajax, is that you?

1 Like

Times change, taste does not.

8 Likes

I don’t drink coffee or tea… so I am doomed to die alone…

8 Likes

“We must understood loooove and share loooove in liiiiife.”

Such a weird voice cadence. I suspected it was a computerised voice, but maybe that’s just what happens when someone who rarely speaks English tries to do ad copy.

7 Likes

I want one of those mugs now, and I just sent the video link to a friend of mine to puzzle over, so I guess it worked.

2 Likes

I think it’s a vocaloid type thing. Allows you to score the intonation so you avoid hawking grammar.

1 Like

Here’s an embeddable copy of the video:

17 Likes

Well, I clicked the :+1: button. I was laughing so hard it pulled me right out of a bad mood.

3 Likes

I hope there is a second episode. I feel invested in this relationship now and want to see where things go. My heart is filled with warmth just like that provided by the JIMI S3.

23 Likes

“I don’t know how to share this happiness…”

4 Likes

So, the mug explodes, right? Or maybe just catches fire, or at least burns its user somehow?

1 Like

It made me laugh,
It made me cry,
It made me think.

But it did not make me want to spend $69 (nice) on a coffee mug. I just know it would be remotely hacked the first day, and I’d drink 2000 degree coffee.

10 Likes

Thank you! Post updated!

6 Likes

And befuddled.

3 Likes

Not my face, surely?

2 Likes

“Just like that we become someone we care about”

Step 1: connect with someone on a chat app
Step 2: buy them a wifi enabled mug
Step 3: send your killer pick up line: “You and Me”

I think it would be more efficient without step 2.

4 Likes

I couldn’t even laugh - I was "WUT."ing too hard. That voice-over. That video. That product.

My first reaction was that it was too human to be synthesized. But voice synthesis has gotten really, really good in the last few years. My second thought was that it was too weird to be synthesized. It feels like someone putting on a “film trailer serious” voice to whom it doesn’t come naturally, speaking in a (second) language that’s not their most comfortable. I wonder if synthesized speech wouldn’t be better than this…

7 Likes