Video ad for temperature control mug would be a great parody, but it isn't

-“We can’t stop time… but we can keep the warmth”
-Entropy: ‘Hold my beer!’ *reaches thermodynamic equilibrium and thus Heat Death of the Universe and end of 'time’

5 Likes

So much cringe. I get it. And we’re gonna need a sequel.

But I so much want one of these temperature controlled mugs. This is the third I’ve heard about. I’m hoping some competition drives the price down to where I’ll bite. I’m thinking CAN$50.

My only coffee complaint is temperature… even in an insulated mug, it’s too hot at first, and tool cool towards the end. The closest I’ve come so far is a mug that has a… polymer?.. insulation that absorbs heat at first and then slowly releases it back to the coffee later. It does a decent job, but it only holds 8oz. And it randomly leaks.

Now I want coffee…

5 Likes

“D” handle = good. 8oz capacity sucks.

2 Likes

Cut to 3 years later when it doesn’t work out and they have a Thunderdome fight to see who gets to keep the fancy coffee mugs? I’d watch that.

2 Likes

$69… to keep your drink hot for up to 8 hours? Who nurses their coffee for 8 hours, much less 1 hour?

Whatever, my $15 double-walled 12 oz. glass mug keeps my coffee/tea nice and drinkably hot for almost 1/2 hour. For me, that’s long enough.

1 Like

I was going to make fun of the idea of a coffee cup needing an alphanumeric networked display to start a relationship, but then I realized we are living in an age where people actually do fall in love via text message. Now it just seems quaint because there are no emojis.

2 Likes

Anyone else concerned about the girl not sitting on the back of her skirt in a public place?

1 Like

@spetrovits Hope you’re aware that accent shaming isn’t the most sophisticated flavor of humor. And while I share the surprise about a strange product and presentation, I guess it’s because I’m not Chinese. That’s the thing about cultures, the Others look strange, eat strange stuff and talk strange.

Towards the end she falls sideways down on the bed with a 65’ C hot mug in her hands. I felt an almost paternal concern for her health and safety.

6 Likes

In this otherwise surprisingly well produced video there is a rather glaring continuity error. Right before the hands accidentally touched the temperature suddenly dropped from 50° to 36°.

I’m interested in this tech but all I want is a way to tell if my tea has reached drinking temperature, no need to keep it there, just alert me that the time has come to start drinking.

That is roughly 230 ml, so i guess that is not big enough?

Hmm, a budding romance over a warm beverage?

4 Likes

Never heard of Taster’s Choice. But there was a series of these in UK for Gold Blend - same actors same storylines. As these are British actors I guess they just re-used them for US. A link below hopefully goes to a compilation of these ads. Look at the first one carefully - it is the same as the one you posted but subtly different. I think they re-recorded the whole thing - the intonation and hesitations in the voices are quite different - so maybe there was less re-use of anything beyond the script.

I might go for a battery-driven temperature-controlled mug, but not if it needs an app or a wi-fi connection.
2 Likes

This reminds me of the BUY MY VOLVO “ad” from a few years ago:

2 Likes

8oz of tasty, well made coffee beats any quantity of rubbish. And if you have tasty, well made coffee then 8oz is ample - this isn’t the Soviet Union; when is comes to coffee quantity does not have a quality all its own.

Hmm, a budding romance over a warm beverage?

She’s a vampire. He’s just luring her in so Buffy can do her thing.

1 Like

In the dramatic sequel he has left his mug and toothbrush at her house and one day while at work he decides to send her a cute mug message but is shocked when he discovers via his app that BOTH mugs are warm.

Duh duh duuuuuuuuuhhhh.

4 Likes

Saw those, too! For some odd marketing reason, Gold Blend was rebranded for the US market as Taster’s Choice.

If by “better” you mean more entertaining, then I don’t think so.

1 Like

Does it run on Java?

5 Likes

Well, that’s certainly true.

1 Like