Nevada deputy who took $50,000 from a man ordered to return it

[Permalink]

Longmire would never have taken that money.

2 Likes

So when are we going to have a judge rule that the civil forfeiture statute is unconstitutional and strike it down?

That would get the corrupt state reps attention.

14 Likes

The malnois looks happy too. Maybe the chief was going to spring for a ritzy new collar and a set of Neuticles.

10 Likes

Note… This cop didn’t do really anything different than standing behind someone at an ATM and demanding their money once it was withdrawn.
ONE is a crime and the other is “Civil Forfeiture” …

12 Likes

Maybe the police can make up the shortfall now by raiding that cop’s pension.

5 Likes

Are they using a version of the Lindsey England Defence, “Ah dud not re-ah-lies wut ah wuz doin’ wuz raangh.”

2 Likes

For those who want more information on civil forfeiture: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/08/12/130812fa_fact_stillman

3 Likes

Pulled over for 78 in a 75, without brown skin? Must have had out-of-state plates. Although the next story down on the topic mentions that another deputy considered cars driving at or below the speed limit suspicious because it makes them look like they’re trying to avoid getting pulled over, so damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Christ, what a bunch of assholes.

20 Likes

The legal papers say that he did NOT consent to the search. But the police searched anyhow.

2 Likes

I read this informative and disturbing article several weeks ago and it came to mind when reading this story. How long before the words ‘criminals’ and ‘police’ become commonly recognized as synonyms amongst various Thesauruses?

10 Likes

Nguyen is a Vietnamese last name. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was, in fact, stopped for Driving While Brown.

12 Likes

Could someone point me to this “liberal media” I keep hearing about? I’d like to give it a try, but I’m having a hard time finding any.

12 Likes

Also called the “Monica Goodling Defense” also “It was legal according to what I learned at Pat Robertson’s make believe law school.”

5 Likes

Perhaps incentivizing enforcement was a bad idea…(?)

13 Likes

Or as the police always seem so fond of saying, “ignorance of the law is no excuse”.

15 Likes

" the Sheriff’s Office was acting in accordance with the law as they understood it"

Can I use that excuse when I get caught doing something illegal?

10 Likes

There’s something very very wrong with America at this point for cops to even think that something like this is acceptable. We really need to start organizing for change. If you want to call the sheriff’s office as I did to express my disapproval, their number is: (775) 623-6429. At least that will be doing something.

3 Likes

That dog doesn’t need $50 grand anyway…

Basically this is referred to as theft.

5 Likes