New Episode VII Trailer

“An elegant weapon, from a more civilized age,” Obi-Wan Kenobi

c’mon! Who hasn’t kissed their brother to make a boy jealous?!?

4 Likes

Please don’t suck, please don’t suck, please don’t suck, please don’t suck, please…

18 Likes

Um… Me?

Hated the prequels (natch), but this trailer gave me the tingles in all the right places. Gotta echo CannibalChicken above…please don’t suck…please don’t suck…

5 Likes

He’s not just the president of the Hair Club for Wookies, he’s also a client.

4 Likes

I dig the hot rod aesthetic choices of that Tie Fighter pilot. Red racing stripes is an inspired choice to offset all that clinical Empire black and white.

Those are reminiscent of “widows tears”, made popular in red by a comic that featured TIE Ace “Baron Fel”.

Christ, somebody stop me…how do I know that?

2 Likes

It’s a tiny nitpick, but I would really want to knock some sense into anyone who tried to hand me a lightsaber that way (after it was someplace safe). Point that emitter somewhere else, and for goodness sake, get a better grip on that handle! I’m sure there’s supposed to be safeties, but this is also one of those universes where shooting a door control panel can have completely unintuitive effects. I have no faith in their safety engineering.

Aside from that… still cautiously optimistic…

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ll just go ahead and ignore your eerily well-informed contribution and simply imagine there’s a whole starship tuner culture that’s all about sweet custom rides and big bass.

7 Likes

I like to think “keeping all your limbs attached despite all odds” is the first lesson in Jedi school. Dropouts are easy to recognize.

2 Likes

I’m excited, but I’m trying not to be. Having your new hopes dashed sucks.

3 Likes

I actually think we are in with a chance on this one but while I am fine with seeing Harrison Ford doing original material I am not a fan of these 30 years later plots (Blade Runner being the other one). For me it just doesn’t work. Its gimmicky and a bit lame.

Not to mention the way so many of them keep unguarded bottomless pits in their offices.

4 Likes

Apparently that one’s going to star Ryan Gosling.

I don’t like the new Star Trek, I don’t like the aesthetics (like the bridge is too ethereal, the lighting is just crazy and wrong), and the story is not much more than good guy kicks the crap out of bad guy after lots of things blow up.

So far I am loving the look and feel of the new Star Wars, I mostly feel right at home maybe even more than the prequels did at this point. So I guess the last hurdle for me will be the story- am I going to feel anything, will I be on the edge of my seat hoping against all odds that something miraculous will happen? Or will I just watch a dozen things blow up while some goofy hunk stoically reads a hero line? So far I loved the opening scene of the first trailer, with the dark skinned(?) clone trooper being scared for his life in the middle of an empty desert. Immediately I wanted to know what he is running from and how is he going to get out of it- I could feel his desperation… so I guess there are some hints as to the story depth as well. I’m excited, but yet remaining guarded.

2 Likes

Courtesy of my friend/ID Software artist Andy Chang, who managed to knock this out about 2 minutes after I suggested it…

14 Likes

I’m a pretty practical guy, and I see your point. I don’t give my allegiances over to much of anything and am quick to turn my nose up at anything as commercial as a movie franchise.

But StarWars was so good to me as a kid. (I’m in my 40s, so were talking real StarWars not that late 90s…incident)

Granted, most of the joy I experience was in play and imagination and not actual watching of movies or owning any of the fancier toys (just action figures and a land speeder pretty much). But I got so much out of it and honestly have a genuine response to these trailers. I’m a manly-man with all the appropriate emotional limitations and I get straight up weepy over these stupid trailers.

So I’m glad (genuinely) that you have the option for it to just not work for you. Sounds like you’ll be mildly disappointed at worst.

For me this has to work. it HAS to work!

2 Likes

I agree with all this.

Will it be a Flashy! Splodey! BLOCKBUSTER!

or will it be an insightful and respectful addition to a wonderful universe of imagination.

1 Like

Not a clone trooper… They stopped using clones.

3 Likes