New footage of FDR walking

[Permalink]

“That’s ball four, and FDR takes his base”

1 Like

We have some too. It is a terribly dark transfer, but you can see FDR walking down the ramp from his private car; it starts a few minutes after this point: https://archive.org/details/HMPossiblyinConnect98753?start=473.5

Way to go Boing Boing. Now I have lost all faith in the Presidency. (Oh, wait.)

1 Like

Weird this was posted today, last night I saw Ed Asner doing a one man show of FDR. Ed was a bit rough, but who isn’t at 82? I didn’t realize FDR was as mobile as he was, able to walk short distances with braces. He told an anecdote of a brace unlocking and him nearly taking a tumble in public.

1 Like

FDR didn’t really walk. His legs were nonfunctional. He developed a way of feigning a walk by following a carefully planned route between supports and swiveling his torso to make it look as if his legs were operating.

Which, if anything, is even more awesome.

1 Like

I can’t decide if the camera operator was just unsteady, or if he was being an ass and dipped the camera on purpose to focus more on FDR’s legs.

1 Like

In his Fresh Air interview (and presumably the book he wrote) James Tobin talked a lot about how FDR at least largely didn’t hide his polio, as has largely been assumed.

1 Like

I just watched Hyde Park on Hudson recently.

An astonishingly boring film.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.