Ninja Turtles (2014) Trailer

What the hell is this American obsession with heroes? Is it related to religious dogma?

3 Likes

“TMNT has always had a lighthearted touch.”

No they haven’t. The original graphic novel that spawned them was quite dark. This is the closest anything’s gotten to that original tone. The rainbow-colored wise-crackers were a repackaging for a younger audience.

7 Likes

Westerns. White hat/black hat. Good Guy Shoots Down Bad Guy. Jesus would never have countenanced taking out the bad guy, he had a different method of going about it.

1 Like

The original TMNT were pretty grimdark, actually. Lots of very serious and mortal wounds. Raphael was angry for good reasons; it was his reaction to being kicked around the way life has to the four.

3 Likes

The current profusion of superhero films is because a comic book company finally figured out how to break into movies the right way. This mess you see a trailer for here–this is a hack riding that otherwise legitimate wave.

3 Likes

I am really tired of the comic book craze.

4 Likes

Everyone is the Chosen One. To quote Brian’s followers: “We are all individuals. We are all different.”

1 Like

As unsettling as it was inevitable.

8 Likes

It’s hardly an American obsession. The Hero Epic is as old as storytelling.

8 Likes

In reply to all: It just seems that there’s a noticeably greater proportion of hero worship in American film in general, not just in the current hash of comic remakes. I know it’s an age-old template, but American cinema doesn’t seem to move much beyond it. The mindset to me seems to be that someone of greater strength/character will come and save us. That’s why I thought it may be religiosity based.

This implies that most viewers see themselves in the guise of the villagers the hero saves. Most viewers are going to identify with the hero who saves the villagers. That they are the Good Guy doing The Right Thing. That they have the greater strength/character themselves and that others do not.

It’s a very individualistic view that the Western genre really mines and that a lot of Western states still think is true.

1 Like

This is crap, as we all knew it would be. Just skip it.

The current cartoon TMNT on Nickelodeon is actually really good though. Check that out instead.

2 Likes

I have it on good authority that Michael Bay’s cock wears a cape, not a mask.

My turtle, Progo, is SUPER EXCITED for this movie to come out.

J/K he thinks it looks like garbage too.

6 Likes

You know what? I’m going to watch this movie, and I’m going to enjoy it for the dreck that it is. Lots of LOUD NOISES and lens flares and indecipherable fight scenes and Megan Fox making duck faces. It will be GLORIOUS. And none of you can take that away from me.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think it is the best TMNT we have seen. It’s quite good.

Haha we are all old and this is shit haha i’m going to bed goodbye

6 Likes

This trailer needs to be made.

Jesus did put the smackdown on some moneychangers, though. :smile:

1 Like

I would have gone with “turtleneck.”

1 Like