The trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem looks like a high point for the franchise

Originally published at: The trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem looks like a high point for the franchise | Boing Boing

2 Likes

This looks fun, and they’re going all out for the voice cast. Well, save for the Turtles themselves. I suspect they’re aiming for a new animated series following this, and the VA’s for the Turtles will be able to shift over easily. The bonus is that they’re young, too. Actual (or near) teens! That shouldn’t be a novel idea for the franchise.

8 Likes

I love the animation aesthetic. That looks really fresh.

3 Likes

I watched Puss n’ Boots recently it am noticing a trend in animations these days.

Much more stylistic and painterly and they really love to play with the frame rate. This looks like at least parts are shot on 2s. PnB did that for all the action scenes. I liked it.

It’s fun and different - though I suspect it will eventually be seen as an early 20s style.

3 Likes

that one voice that sounds like a 10 year old threw me off. But i guess some kids’ voice change later than other and as you point they ARE teenagers… it’s a direction i wouldn’t have expected, but now that i think of it, it could work… (that was the only thing that seemed weird to me. I love the visual style. Some of the recent movies and animation haven’t look good to me personally but I love this!)

1 Like

Agreed, this is the first time I’ve seen them depicted on screen in a way that really says “teenagers” instead of “young adults trying to do 1980s Keanu Reeves.” (Granted I’m sure I missed several iterations of the franchise over the decades so who knows.)

1 Like

I’m trying to stay away from reactions to this trailer because of their portrayal. The last TMNT series to come out, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, portrayed them as more like teenagers, and people were not happy. (There’s more to it, of course, but there are too many people who think they can dictate what the Turtles are.)

I don’t say this very often but damn, this looks fantastic!

TIL: That much of the graphic design for this was done by Wayne White’s son. He’s the artist with the amazing text paintings on thrift store landscapes who designed all the sets for Pee-wee’s Playhouse. And his son seems damn talented too: https://www.instagram.com/woodrow_white/
It’s not listed on IMDB yet - but they often miss stuff. (I had to add my own details last gig.)

And with Mark Mothersbaugh doing the music - well it looks like it’ll be a fine movie.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.