Not all South Asian food is curried

[Permalink]

There are different definitions of the word Curry, but using it as a catch-all term for all indian subcontinent food, whether dry or saucy, is perfectly valid. In the UK in particular Curry refers to the cuisine in general, and the chefs and home cooks alike would often refer to the sauce as gravy.

1 Like

It never “occurryed” to me

3 Likes

Violence-prone women like that are fun to date but I can tell you from experience they don’t make great wives.

1 Like

Fun series. Fawzia Mirza is pretty hilarious.

4 Likes

Curry itself is has many definitions, it seems like. Many curries don’t actually contain the spice called curry. I learned long ago that the distinctive favor I associate with curries is actually turmeric.

yeah, curry leaves are mostly used in south-indian cuisine, in fact most curries don’t use them. you need to use them fresh btw, the dried ones don’t work well. curry not only has different definitions around the world, south-asians themselves don’t agree on what it means (I think it was Rick Stein’s recent series that had a montage of various Indians all giving completely different definitions).

I don’t believe there is a “spice called curry.”

OK, Mr. Pedant. So curry leaves may not count as a spice. An herb, perhaps?

3 Likes

There is “curry powder”, which is a blend of various spices.

Yep, like ‘stews’ don’t have any Stews in them.

Unless your name is Thomas Harris.

Curry leaves dude. I have them in my cupboard; I am not talking out my ass:

2 Likes

See: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_tree

1 Like

Thank you. I honestly rarely use curry leaves, but virtually all my food is curried. It is a wonderful, overloaded word.

(Goes hunting for a vindaloo and dhal. )

So do I, dude, so do I.

About as valid as referring to anybody from the US as a “yank”, perhaps…

Curry is a technical term in south-Indian, and especially Tamil cooking. Not everything we make can be called a curry, even in Tamil cuisine. It usually refers to something that’s stewed or roasted and seasoned with specific condiments. But today, the specificity of that term is wildly diluted because of cross-pollination with others who use the term willy nilly, so even here, the way we use it is kind of wrong.

Turmeric and tamarind - almost every dish we make has one of these as a base. Technically, curries (usually) don’t contain tamarind - that would be more appropriately called a Kozhambu (you can pronounce that Kolambu if you don’t know what a retroflex approximant is).

I have one growing outside my window! :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.